Banning gas boilers

No problem, all new houses will be built using the same concept as the vacuum ( Thermos ) flask concept. Ultra low running costs but construction costs will make then un-buyablle for all but the rich.....

Sponsored Links
No problem, all new houses will be built using the same concept as the vacuum ( Thermos ) flask concept. Ultra low running costs but construction costs will make then un-buyablle for all but the rich.....

And owners have to live with a gazillion dust mites because there is no free airflow to push them out of the house?

No matter how much or how little heating energy a house/flat requires, unless/until the price of electricity falls dramatically and/or the price of gas rises dramatically, it will remain the case that heating energy (no matter how little or how much is needed) will cost 2-3 times more with electricity than with gas.

Kind Regards, John
True but that's only the deciding factor if both systems are already available, or gas usage is high. A gas heating eating probably has 300+ pounds a year dead cost just by sitting there whereas an electric system is probably tens of pounds, so if your gas bill was 100 pounds a year you'd be better off using expensive electricity.
That's only possible in some kind of eco house now, but as the prices or regulation change it could be the way things go.

dust mites
Dealt with by the "Heat and Meat Recovery Ventilation System" :mrgreen:

Several years ago an aquaintance and his partner lived (?) for a few months in a "thermally efficient" home.

(?) they found the discomfort and restrictions far too oppressive to consider being in the place as living a life.

Sponsored Links
Several years ago an aquaintance and his partner lived (?) for a few months in a "thermally efficient" home.

(?) they found the discomfort and restrictions far too oppressive to consider being in the place as living a life.
Maybe it wasn't set up properly. The regs are pretty tight now on ventilation performance. What were the restrictions?
Anyway, even old houses have all sorts of damp and mould problems so i would say a decent

The regs are pretty tight now on ventilation performance

I am not going to get involved in a back and forth on this. Just to say that Sick Building Syndrome ( SBS ) is once again raising concerns about the health of people, especially young children,

upload_2019-2-23_8-20-22.png

looked at the short term affects on people ( symptoms dispersed a few hours after leaving the building ).

Now the emphasis is on the long term health of people who are affected by SBS for a few hours a day for several years.

Hadn't heard about this syndrome, but I'm sure it is a concern for all buildings regardless of efficiency, they should be well designed and not cause an unhealthy environment but that doesn't always happen in reality!

No matter how much or how little heating energy a house/flat requires, unless/until the price of electricity falls dramatically and/or the price of gas rises dramatically, it will remain the case that heating energy (no matter how little or how much is needed) will cost 2-3 times more with electricity than with gas.

Kind Regards, John
You are crystal ball gazing.

Zero heating houses cost no more to build.

And owners have to live with a gazillion dust mites because there is no free airflow to push them out of the house?
There will be free air flow using air to air heat exchangers.

A poorly designed or built one.

Sick buildings was mainly to the colours, furniture, layout, etc. I recall being in the office of Tube Investments in Mayfair. Great expense on the fittings and furnishings. Black ash desks & doors with purple walls. They moved receptionists out every 3 months. Some would burst into tears for "no reason."

Last edited:
Hadn't heard about this syndrome, but I'm sure it is a concern for all buildings regardless of efficiency, they should be well designed and not cause an unhealthy environment but that doesn't always happen in reality!

Design is one thing, implementation is another entirely, and decent HVAC engineers are in even shorter supply than plumbers and heating engineers.

But water storage will also have to be massively increased to allow for the painfully slow recharge rates from electric sources.

Dannyboy, instant electric taps are being viewed as a solution. A guy I know fitted these in renovation. I will report of the performance next week.

Instant showers are available, most of them are. In his highly insulated terraced renovation he got rid of gas saving space on meter and combi. Will be back next week on that as I will be meeting him for about half an hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back