End of the pipe line for gas engineers

RGI's make much more money from installs than maintenance.
Personally I dont agree with that,. so many just nailing boilers to walls for pennies these days, a decent repair engineer can earn good money, but you have to be good and trustworthy and know what you are doing, with so many large companies going bust , and so many poke and go , idiots doing work for pennies a decent engineer is worth their weight in gold , apart from me I am a fat git and would be worth a lot of gold

Sponsored Links
I heard the guy on the vine show too, what an ass.
A victorian terrace with 22" solid walls cannot be insulated well.

Anyhoo, I hope it won't come to fruition otherwise wtf are warbitons and all other food manufacturers going to do?
If they have to change then that's me out of a job making gear for them.

I have 2 main questions about this idea.
1) What are Europe doing about this?
2) What difference will it really make in the grand scheme of things if the whole of the UK does it?

Would the network even cope with hydrogen? I was under the impression that hydrogen molecules were smaller than natural gas, so more likely to leak out.

From articles I've read, the plastic pipe which the gas network have been installing the past 20 years is ok, plastic pipe before that and old cast iron and steel pipes cannot handle the hydrogen, but apparently there isn't many of them left.

It cannot be 100% hydrogen, but a mix of natural gas and hydrogen, which apparently creates almost zero carbon emissions

Sponsored Links
AFAIR the HSE and networks have a 20 or 30 year program to swap out the old pipework..there's still a way to go but much of what you might think is cast/steel has already been sleeved with MDPE.

Cadent decided that 200 metres of leaky metal main along the High Street was to be by-passed, sealed and abandoned. Sleeving was not a viable option. even though the pipe was a straight run.

004.jpg

005.jpg

It's been UK policy for some time; all new installs banned from 2025. Existing installations can (could?) continue to end of life.

Would the network even cope with hydrogen? I was under the impression that hydrogen molecules were smaller than natural gas, so more likely to leak out.
I remembered something about hydrogen embrittlement of steel, so checked on Wiki. According to that steel with UTS < 1000MPa is not susceptible. The UTS of various grades of carbon steel are nowhere near 1000MPa, so on that basis steel pipes are OK.

It's been UK policy for some time; all new installs banned from 2025. Existing installations can (could?) continue to end of life.

only applies to new build properties at the moment

Cadent decided that 200 metres of leaky metal main along the High Street was to be by-passed, sealed and abandoned. Sleeving was not a viable option. even though the pipe was a straight run.

View attachment 234023

View attachment 234024

Sleeving seriously reduces the internal bore of the pipe. There are lots of properties with 16mm insertions that don't give nearly the full rate they are supposed too. They probably decided that a new main was the best way to supply everyone

Sleeving seriously reduces the internal bore of the pipe. There are lots of properties with 16mm insertions that don't give nearly the full rate they are supposed too. They probably decided that a new main was the best way to supply everyone
In my BG days I remember a scheme on medium pressure, fed from both sides, gas main was 16mm, all joints were fusion welded, before electro fusion, so most of the pipe bore was a lot less than 16mm, still running fine to this day, that would have been about 30 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back