Energy saving

We'll have to agree to disagree Tony.

I think the human race currently has a very selfish view of things, and there is so much we could do to help other species without significant detriment to our own lifestyles.

Problem is sustainability doesn't sit well with economic growth.

I'm bored.

What are your views on moment distribution? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Turn the heating back up, get the car out, and stop fretting

Thats easy said. But for many its not an option as they cannot afford it.

Then blame the government for high taxes on fuel and power.
Most of the pump-cost of petrol/diesel is tax, and power costs are artificially high because of government-imposed taxes.
As a nation, we are not addicted to high energy use, we are addicted to high public spending, much of it coming from taxes on fuel and power.

TONI 1851 wrote; "much of it coming from taxes on fuel and power"

NB To fuel the power in Brussels more like...

:evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links

Then blame the government for high taxes on fuel and power.
Most of the pump-cost of petrol/diesel is tax, and power costs are artificially high because of government-imposed taxes.
As a nation, we are not addicted to high energy use, we are addicted to high public spending, much of it coming from taxes on fuel and power.

Yes. I wouldn't mind so much, but then they give it all away in foreign aid.

Of course, fertility rate doesn't really tell the whole story, as nations with the higher fertility rates also tend to have much higher infant mortality, due to lack of medicine, food, and clean water.
But, life expectancy is increasing fast in Africa, which is accounting for a high proportion of their population growth, along with better access to medicine and clean water reducing infant mortality rate.

I've no doubt the planet could sustain a doubling of the human population, at least, but it will be at the expense of many more animal and floral species.

When a country gets to grips with its infant mortality, they are soon able to drop the birth rate as well. As contraception is usually available before then.

The only time this doesn't work is when religion gets in the way. This is less common than one would expect.

Life expectancy is indeed increasing, but the birth rate is also dropping.

I'd say this was a good thing.

I agree, but for the fact that we haven't yet worked out how to stave off dimentia.
I don't really see the appeal of living to 100, but spending my last 20 years dribbling into my cornflakes in a care home somewhere.

I'd much rather have 80 healthy years and then the lights go out.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of all this 'save-the-planet' stuff.
The planet will still be here long after we are gone.

But there will be no body on it -`twill be like the moon :idea:

As a nation, we are not addicted to high energy use

But we are addicted to high energy use.
How many children walk to school now a days. None!
How many farmers are still ploughing with a horse. None!

How many people don't have CH in their homes. Very few!
How many people drive to work every day alone when their car can hold another 3 people. Millions!

How many office personell turn on the a/c and run the boiler at the same time. Thousands
How many lorries deliver a payload of goods from north to the south of the country and another one meets deliivering the same payload south to north. Thousands every day!

We are prolific energy users and are addicted to that way of life.

How many people drive to work every day alone when their car can hold another 3 people. Millions!

How many office personell turn on the a/c and run the boiler at the same time. Thousands
How many lorries deliver a payload of goods from north to the south of the country and another one meets deliivering the same payload south to north. Thousands every day!

So lets all turn the clock back and go back to growing our own food
and making our own clothes and things. Why not set an example and ditch your computer for a start?
Since the Arts-and-Crafts movement of the mid-19th century, people in this country have looked back to some imagined golden pre-industrial age. That's not civilization - it's pretentious and decadent.

and making our own clothes and things. Why not set an example and ditch your computer for a start?
Since the Arts-and-Crafts movement of the mid-19th century, people in this country have looked back to some imagined golden pre-industrial age. That's not civilization - it's pretentious and decadent.

Sounds good to me, if you don't hear from me then assume I have ditched my computer! :LOL:

tony1851";p="2683734 said:

Lol, you missed the point he's making by a mile. :rolleyes:

The point is NOT to turn back the clock, but to find more efficient ways to generate and use the energy!

I agree, but for the fact that we haven't yet worked out how to stave off dimentia.
I don't really see the appeal of living to 100, but spending my last 20 years dribbling into my cornflakes in a care home somewhere.

I'd much rather have 80 healthy years and then the lights go out.

You're conflating two seperate issues. We were on about Africa and other third world regions with high birth rates.

Here in the UK, we have had a low birth rate and high life expectancy for decades.

The third world (and developing world) generally have a lot of catching up to do with regard birth rates, and life expectancy, and we have no moral reason not to allow them to acheive that. Infact there is much to gain to allow them to develop, and gain the benefits of an industrialised world. There are risks as well of course, but if we make every effort to clean up our act, the lessons can be learned elsewhere.

For example, China may be using obscene amounts of coal, but they are also building more renewables than anyone else. They and us need to be building more nuclear power plants. And never forget that it is us that is feeding that industry (the West), with us buying their goods en masse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21432226

The biggest container ships will be saling from Asia to Europe.

We need to develop clean technology. Not just for us to use, but for the world. Its a global market, and a global issue of emissions.

Sponsored Links
Back