enforced paramedics meal breaks

Sponsored Links
I have worked for the health service since I was 18 (many years now!!).

There have been many occasions when I couldn't get my 30 minute dinner break - often worked a 10 hour night shift without a break as well. BUT there have also been many times when it was quiet and I had longer breaks, went home early etc. This is acceptable practice for many health sector workers.

Unless you are an administration worker you know working for the health service that there are times when it is absolutely impossible to take breaks - That is the way it is I'm afraid!!

I would say that all of the people working within the acute sectors know this and see it as being a 'swing and roundabout' process.

Even now - I have a senior postion - a 30 minute meal break is deducted from my salary - but I don't often take it.
But I will finish a bit early when I can every now and then to make up for this - on the whole though I would say I give more than I take (in fact I am doing some patient visits tomorrow - no pay though!)

toffee said:
pb, despite your lack of faith in me, I was being serious.

That cant work here in cumbria.

So, thankyou for your clarification
( pity about the sarcasm.. you make such smart alec assumptions )

The crews can not operate like that due to the limited amount of crews on at any one time in a rural area.

sometimes there isnt another crew to take over at the same station!!!

I neither displayed a lack of faith nor meant to be sarcastic either, I only stated the obvious.

I admit I don't know anything about any specific cases in your area, but these people probably sometimes spend ages sitting around between jobs.

The only correct answer to your comment is the emergency services should be integrated, thereby sharing facilities and reducing costs.

Where I live we have both the fire and ambulance stations next door to each other. Both have the same back up facilities and staff.There is no justification for this duplicity, more so in rural areas where there is less demand.It is a total waste of public funds, but the luddite unions and old fashioned management working practices abhor change.

joe-90 said:
A Paramedic works round the clock.

joe

No they don't - they have shift rotas - early, late and nights.

They also have a new pay and service structure (as do all NHS staff apart from doctors and dentists) known as Agenda for Change.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
When there is only one ambulance to cover 100 square miles plus with one crew on a night shift it is impossible to split baits, which was the case.

With respect this sounds a lot worse than it really is.

100 square miles is only a 10 mile square and (in simple terms) if you were in the middle of this you are only about 5 miles or so away from any part of that 100 miles. I do except this is simplifying the issue, but could a higher debsity really be justified?

Rural areas always fare worse than the cities in these areas because there isn't the demand too justify any different.

yes... the difference is this is enforced on crews.
They are not informed of (not dispatched to) jobs.

It is not about them not wanting to go.

They are not allowed to go!!

I get very worked up here as you all know.

But those who have not sat at a scene (as opposed to in a hospital) waiting.. trying to reassure... fists stuffed in bleeding holes.. (knowing to no avail due to time before help and supplies arrive)

may not realise the frustration of knowing that that there is a crew down the road but telling the family at scene help is on its way as soon as possible!! (*******s.. help is there but red tape means they cant help!!!)

telling a casualty its going to be okay... when it isnt!!!

sharing their last words on a cold tarmac road ....

Im not saying its the choice of paramedics.. Im saying, it is enforced reality.

pb.. it is far more than 10 mile patches that our crews have to work!!

My goodness... times it by three on a good day and on a night shift......

JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:

joe

They also have a new pay and service structure (as do all NHS staff apart from doctors and dentists) known as Agenda for Change.

Three shifts IS working around the clock.

How much do they earn then? How much does a GP earn?

joe

toffee said:
pb.. it is far more than 10 mile patches that our crews have to work!!

My goodness... times it by three on a good day and on a night shift......

But toffee I was only replying to spark123 who said this.
When there is only one ambulance to cover 100 square miles plus with one crew on a night shift it is impossible to split baits, which was the case.
I presume you agreed with spark123 as you then said this.
thank you spark.

There has to be consideration to cost and demand. Despite government efforts and the undoubted increases in health service spending they are still facing shortages.

It is the price you pay for rural living I'm afraid, you could move down the M6 a bit to say Liverpool or Manchester and you wouldn't have a problem.

That said, would you really like such places compared to the Lakes? ;)

joe-90 said:
JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:

joe

joe

Yes but it's not the same person working round the clock.

The NHS provides a round the clock service too.

A paramedic trains for 3 years - like I did to become an RGN and earn about the same as an RGN

A GP would do his medical training which is 5 years - would then need to do at least 3 years in a medical or surgical post then 18 - 2yrs specific GP training - making a grand total of nearly 10 yrs.

I like it where I am.
I just resent the rubbish spouted that no difference will be noticed in service provided.

The cover has been greatly reduced... honesty would not increase the cover but it is an insult to be told that cover will remain the same...

And to scrimp on half an hour...

As usual, if someone's mother (some one who can make a difference) living in their third home in pretty cumbria misses out on an ambulance... then changes will happen.
It is alway the way isnt it.

I just think that people seem to make these decisions in built up areas but they havent been on a rural road in the dark in the middle of seemingly nowwhere in rural cumbria with a dying relative!!!

Ok, politics shouldnt be about emotions but you should hear a human cry out for a loved one ....

funny enough , they dont say... oh dearest.. the lastest money saving policy is that you could live .....but as part of a cost cutting exercise you are going to die because the crew is coming from miles and miles away and doesnt know where we are. There is a crew not far from here but they cant come as it is their break time!!
I dont feel bitter dear.. you can be saved but you wont be... its just one of those things...

JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:
JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:

joe

joe

Yes but it's not the same person working round the clock.

The NHS provides a round the clock service too.

A paramedic trains for 3 years - like I did to become an RGN and earn about the same as an RGN

A GP would do his medical training which is 5 years - would then need to do at least 3 years in a medical or surgical post then 18 - 2yrs specific GP training - making a grand total of nearly 10 yrs.

:

But a GP doesn't even work on Saturdays never mind the middle of the night.

Now tell me what a GP earns and what a Paramedic earns.

Bearing in mind that most of a doctors training is PAID training anyway (apart from Uni).

joe

Yes, 100+ square miles (as an estimate) of the some of the worst roads in the country, with no hospital within this radius, the closest ones in Barrow 20miles or Whitehaven 30miles, single track roads through farms, mountaneous terrain, no motorways/dual carriageways etc etc etc.
Please remember also it was not the crew which refused to be called out on their break, they were not called upon by the dispatcher because of red tape.

toffee said:
thank you
to be pedantic :rolleyes: it should be Paramedics enforced breaks :rolleyes: and they should be entitled to better Union Support

Spark123 said:
Yes, 100+ square miles of the some of the worst roads in the country, with no hospital within this radius, the closest ones in Barrow 20miles or Whitehaven 30miles, single track roads through farms, mountaneous terrain, no motorways/dual carriageways etc etc etc.
Please remember also it was not the crew which refused to be called out on their break, they were not called upon by the dispatcher because of red tape.

Is there any chance of a link to the case in question?

Sponsored Links
Back