Eon refuse to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2017-6-25_18-31-26.png

Surely supplies are energised all the time where wiring on the consumer's side is incomplete?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, we don't know what he "necessary part" are that were missing. But that begs the question of why the previous EON engineer said that he couldn't conect it because it was 3 phase.

So which one of them doesn't know what they are doing.

If the dno suspect or have found a property has been used for growing wacky bacci, they will excavate the supply cable and cap it off underground at the edge of the property, its been going on for years.

Sponsored Links
But that begs the question of why the previous EON engineer said that he couldn't conect it because it was 3 phase
Have had this before. Eon meter came to fit 4 x 3 Phase and one SP meters to a Lucy cabinet. The guy turned up with 4 SP meters and about 5m of each tail as if he was going to be doing a normal meter install.

Eon seem to be one of the worst for not passing information between themselves.

I can see what you're saying, but the first engineer said the he couldn't do the job because it was 3 phase, and a later engineer said that there were bits missing in the installation, so which one was right - neither I suspect.

But that would sound right for not passing info between themselves.

What's the difference between the above situation and installing a new supply in a new build that has not been wired up?

Potentially, both could be connected to incomplete wiring systems, but that doesn't stop the second scenario being commonplace.

Presumably on a new build in progress the distributor does not have reasonable grounds for believing that the installation will not/does not comply with the regulations which apply to however much of the installation is done at the time it's connected to the supply.

But the situation of a landlord renovating a property which has been trashed, and had the installation vandalised, is not the same at all.

There is potential for the connection of unsafe wiring to both. You can't say they don't have reasonable grounds that the installation won't comply - they have no control over that.

Personally speaking, I have seen shed loads of dodgy stuff connected to new supplies on housing estate, building sites etc...

There is potential for the connection of unsafe wiring to both. You can't say they don't have reasonable grounds that the installation won't comply - they have no control over that.
They don't have to have control over it to have reasonable grounds to believe it's OK.

The fact that a new build is having its electrical installation done by competent people complying with the regulations is enough.

Of course there is the potential for unsafe wiring to be connected, but in the case of a new-build that's because of the potential for people to lie and cheat and incorporate criminal behaviour into an ostensibly lawful operation.

In the case of the derelict property it's because the installation has been vandalised and not repaired.

In the case of the derelict property it's because the installation has been vandalised and not repaired.
Indeed, but that presumably should not preclude their providing a temporary supply (i.e. not connected to the vandalised installation)? As I understand it, the problem being described is that without some sort of supply (even if only a limited/temporary one) attempts to repair the installation are being very much frustrated.

The DNO can then be asked to connect the supply to the actual installation once it has been repaired, and presumably would make an assessment of the adequacy of the repaired installation at that point in time.

Kind Regards, John

I suspect that the situation reported in the paper might be one of an unqualified person(s) self-renovating the property, no electrician, and wanting the existing installation reconnected, not a new temporary one.

I suspect that the situation reported in the paper might be one of an unqualified person(s) self-renovating the property, no electrician, and wanting the existing installation reconnected, not a new temporary one.
Maybe, but the reported statement "Without electricity, I cannot start renovations" could, I presume, be addressed by a temporary supply, and one might have thought that, if there were a valid reason for not reconnecting the installation, one of the Eon people would perhaps have suggested/offered this.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe, but the reported statement "Without electricity, I cannot start renovations" could, I presume, be addressed by a temporary supply, and one might have thought that, if there were a valid reason for not reconnecting the installation, one of the Eon people would perhaps have suggested/offered this.
Maybe they did:

screenshot_1308.jpg

That implies to me that Mr Bajwa was trying to get going without having an electrician on board. If he had one, I'm sure he would already have had, or could easily get, a temporary installation to connect a supply to.

Maybe they did: .... That implies to me that Mr Bajwa was trying to get going without having an electrician on board. If he had one, I'm sure he would already have had, or could easily get, a temporary installation to connect a supply to.
Maybe - who knows?! I do wonder why we are bothering to take time speculating, let alone 'discussing', on the basis solely of 'information' provided in a newspaper article!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back