Equality for women...

I

imamartian

i think this is kind of vogue in the last 5 years.... equal pay etc... women in the army, women firefighters (although i always thought the strongest and fittest should get this job!!)...

But i tend to agree, women should be treated equally, it's only fair....

So why is it that women can retire earlier than men, and typically live longer? :eek:
Even when pension ages are reformed, over the next 5 to 10 years, women will still be able to retire before men !!! that's wrong !!! isn't it?

Sponsored Links
Women have easier lives than men and their longer lifespan is proof so true equality is a long way off.
When they are dropping dead in their forties and fifties with heart attacks then I might consider them equal.
My BiL just had a minor heart attack. He's only 41, though its been in the back of my mind the last couple of years that he might not reach 50 without one, considering his work load.

so is equality for women just political correctness gone mad?

I think the sisterhood got carried away. :mrgreen:
The government probably embraced/embraces the idea because of the extra revenue gained.

Sponsored Links
Women have easier lives than men and their longer lifespan is proof so true equality is a long way off.
When they are dropping dead in their forties and fifties with heart attacks then I might consider them equal.
My BiL just had a minor heart attack. He's only 41, though its been in the back of my mind the last couple of years that he might not reach 50 without one, considering his work load.

Silly question. Why doesn't he work less, or change career?

put simply, i think intellectually women and men are ...almost.. equal (i hesitate because throughout history, typically the inventors are men...)

but in physical tasks... i.e. sport.... and physical jobs, like the army, or the fire brigade, or the police, or the building industry, how can women compare?

but in physical tasks... i.e. sport.... and physical jobs, like the army, or the fire brigade, or the police, or the building industry, how can women compare?

Because all those jobs, also involve a degree of planning, thinking, negotiation, compassion etc

OK, you may have a fair point :LOL:

put simply, i think intellectually women and men are ...almost.. equal (i hesitate because throughout history, typically the inventors are men...)

Redressing the balance slightly, women in the workplace is a 20th century phenomenon, by which time many useful things had already been invented.

But did you know that windscreen wipers were invented by a woman?
The mother of the Monkee, Mike Nesmith, invented tipp-ex?

...and I'm sure our boys in Afghanistan are extremely grateful to the woman that invented kevlar!

Betcha life woman invented fire too...they were in the cave skinning and cooking...our lot were out bashing the hell out of the nearest mammoth... :D

could be due to the lack instrumentation and opportunity in the domestic enviroment
and the lack off encouragement and even discouragement
i am fully confident that if you forced men to be domestic and women where allowed to do the male roles in life the inventions would still appear at a similar rate and level although i would expect the sort off inventions to often be different as mens and women brains do seem to function in different ways
i would expect the inventions to be off similar value to society as a whole

Blame the wars, thats what did it :D

Trouble is some women like the "homely" way. The breast bashers go over the top the other way.
Same job, same results, same pay easy- really.

Men traditionally work, and women stay at home, to look after kids, physical work for the men means they die sooner. Now working in a call centre, and the wife is out all day as an earner, means you don't get the pay, so she has more stress, and dies sooner. Trends change.

Some years ago a chap took the government to court under the Equal Opportunities Act, claiming discrimination because his wife could retire at 60 and collect her state pension, yet he had to soldier on to 65. The court agreed and sent this back to parliament. To comply with the ruling the government decided to change the rules so both men and women would eventually retire at the same age (then 65, but creeping forever upward) I'm now looking to retire at 66, but the way the economy is going, if I live to see 66, I'll probably have to continue working, just to afford to eat. :cry: :cry:

PS, I truly believe that years ago when women wanted equality, then got it, they didn't realise the consequences. You just can't have the craic with women the same way you can with the lads. Practical jokes etc are frowned upon by the fairer sex.
Women in the Armed Forces, are kept well away from the frontline (surely a case there for discrimination) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back