Estimate of cost for combi boiler and 11 radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would really appreciate any ideas on cost for a new wet heating system - combi boiler with 11 rads (replacing warm air system). Also any recommendations for the most reliable boiler.

We have a 4 bed detached 70's style house with concrete floors downstairs (one bathroom, cloakroom, utlility room and kitchen). We were planning on keeping instant electric shower in bathroom although have been told that shower would be good running from boiler? The bathroom is directly above the proposed location of the boiler in the utility room and the cloakroom and kitchen are just next door - so short runs for the hot water feeds.

So far we have had a quote from BG at just under £10k which I am not taking too seriously. I have a couple of independent fitters coming to quote next week. I was looking at the Vailant Ecotech 837 boiler but read both good and bad things about these. Also, is it ok to run the pipe to an existing internal waste pipe that runs in to the soil pipe rather than running outside where it could freeze up.

Thanks very much indeed.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your location in kent, the work required the flexibility in position etc we would charge between an estimate of £3,500- £5,000, depedning on boiler and radiator sizings other extras and flue termination type (This is based on the ground floor being surface mounted copper pipework which you could box in or pendox.

This is based on the gas supply being adequate in the house, or an easy run from the meter, complex hard gas runs can be a pain in older hard floored houses

But we are not the cheapest and as with everything thats just an estimate.

Yes you could terminate the condesate inside if its able to be done and this is the prefered method as you say it removed freezing

Will the flue be horizontal where the boiler is hung on an internal wall that goes external?

Thanks

Stingray13, I am ever so sorry but I have just realised that our location was not changed - we are now located on the Isle of Wight rather than Kent. We were thinking that the boiler would be mounted on the internal wall and the flu could come out the top and run at right angles to the external wall about 2 metres away. If this is not possible then it could be mounted directly on the external wall.

Stingray13, I am ever so sorry but I have just realised that our location was not changed - we are now located on the Isle of Wight rather than Kent. We were thinking that the boiler would be mounted on the internal wall and the flu could come out the top and run at right angles to the external wall about 2 metres away. If this is not possible then it could be mounted directly on the external wall.

No worries, Without seeing positions etc it would be very hard to work out that, but the external wall direct will be cheaper as its less flue and less work

Sponsored Links
Does it really matter what anyone on here thinks? Just get three quotes from local people and see what they come up with.

Sorry, do not want to waste peoples time. However, when you have one person quoting 4.5k and another quoting 10k, different companies offering completely different advice on the best system, we thought it would be valuable to get the views of a wider audience as we have no idea what we should be paying. When things go wrong it is often stated that it must be due to poor installation - we therefore want to do as much research as possible to ensure that we do not become one of the many people on these forums to be ripped off by incompetent installers or install unreliable equipment.

Nip into a plumber's merchant and ask the guys who work there who they would use. They know the good guys from the cowboys. Ask them for the names of three firms that they would consider using on their own houses. Then get quotes.

Nip into a plumber's merchant and ask the guys who work there who they would use. They know the good guys from the cowboys. Ask them for the names of three firms that they would consider using on their own houses. Then get quotes.

Yeah, the spotty yoof in PC will give you a recommendation........ :LOL: :LOL:

Get real Joe!!

Sorry, do not want to waste peoples time.

When things go wrong it is often stated that it must be due to poor installation - we therefore want to do as much research as possible to ensure that we do not become one of the many people on these forums to be ripped off by incompetent installers or install unreliable equipment.

I think that you are wasting our time!

When you enter into a purchase expecting to be ripped off then thats what you are doing.

Ask locals for a recommendation. Check installers gas registration on the Gas-Safe site.

Have you been watching Rogue Traders? Thats for entertainment and mostly uses actors!

I would expect 5-6 grand plus vat ecotec 837 is very good boiler I would expect an 828 to be adequate for your needs bigger output does not necessarily mean better flow rate. You need the good incoming cold main to start with until this is checked you don't know if a combi is suitable for your needs

Yellow pages it is then? :rolleyes:

Try & keep up Joe!! Very few now advertise in Thomsons or Yellow Pages, they're useless. In fact 4 years ago just before we stopped both, we asked 30 callers how they got or contact details & about 25 said in the local rag & the other five said recommendation from other customers.

That's interesting. Never realised the local rag was so influential.

I agree with you about Yellow Pages. Tried it once about 15 years ago - got one phone call all year - but luckily it led to a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back