Estimate of cost for combi boiler and 11 radiators

I think this illustrates nicely our dilemma!!!!!

The bl**dy installers cannot even agree on how to secure a pipe to the wall.

Had another installer in today who came highly recommended (although I have now discovered that he changed the boiler and did not do a full install).

Apparently all the other installers that have quoted us are wrong!! We are going to need not one but two radiators in some of our rooms now because a single radiator would not give out enough heat, a combi boiler is only suitable for a small house and would be no good to us, we shouldn't go for a traditional system cos they old fashioned, what we need is an all singing all dancing system boiler with mains pressure hot water at each tap. Of course, instead of saving space, we now need an extra large water tank next to the boiler with a big blue beach ball on the top. But wait - these systems can be very dangerous - we have to ensure that we have a regular service or it could all explode!!!!! Also advised we stop using the warm air immediately as it can be dangerous. What a joke.

Sponsored Links

Had another installer in today who came highly recommended (although I have now discovered that he changed the boiler and did not do a full install).

Apparently all the other installers that have quoted us are wrong!! We are going to need not one but two radiators in some of our rooms now because a single radiator would not give out enough heat, a combi boiler is only suitable for a small house and would be no good to us, we shouldn't go for a traditional system cos they old fashioned, what we need is an all singing all dancing system boiler with mains pressure hot water at each tap. Of course, instead of saving space, we now need an extra large water tank next to the boiler with a big blue beach ball on the top. But wait - these systems can be very dangerous - we have to ensure that we have a regular service or it could all explode!!!!! Also advised we stop using the warm air immediately as it can be dangerous. What a joke.

Yeah, and don't forget you'll be having pipes dropping from the ceiling connecting to the radiators, all painted circa 70s council house style.............MMMmmmm.....Nice!!!.................. :LOL: :LOL:

Delta - what is the norm for hiding the pipework that drops down - is there some special trunking you use or would you box them in if installing in a new home. All the quotes I have intend runnig the pipes down the wall and leaving them on show - one has actually suggested bringing them down halfway along the wall so we can hide them behind the curtains - not impressed with this. Thanks

! Also advised we stop using the warm air immediately as it can be dangerous. What a joke.
Only if you fart next to the air intake - like I did once when I used to service gas before CORGI :oops:

Sponsored Links
Delta - what is the norm for hiding the pipework that drops down - is there some special trunking you use or would you box them in if installing in a new home. All the quotes I have intend runnig the pipes down the wall and leaving them on show - one has actually suggested bringing them down halfway along the wall so we can hide them behind the curtains - not impressed with this. Thanks

Depends on the type of house, external wall make-up & partiton make-up. If you site your radiators where the pipes are easier concealed then that helps. In new homes here in Scotland 10mm Push Fit pipes on drop feed rads are concealed in walls & partitions. But most new builds here are timber frame.

In houses with plaster-on-hard walls & solid floors, we would drop in a corner or drop out of direct eye line & run horizontal to the rad. Then box in with nice plywood, then paint to match the existing walls...........Lovely job!!! However, the English appear to favour the Ship's Engine Room finish & leave everything exposed!! A very 'Retro Industrial' or New York loft living look!!!
I'm sure the wife will love cleaning the dust from all these pipes................ :LOL: :LOL:

Of course you do you would have the exact colour of paint and matching wall paper that every customers has decorated their house with.
Sounds good till you think more to it
And fitting in existing houses you are never going to be able to drop in walls.

Insult my work all you want i can defend that but never insult me by calling me English that is far far to much below the belt ;)

.......................but never insult me by calling me English that is far far to much below the belt. Oh FFS, sorry about that!!............ ;)

Sooey thats even worse the Welsh must be the only nation that makes the English look happy ;)

To the op, this is only my personal opinion, but dependent upon budget I would allways go for seperate boiler and unvented cylinder. Most replacement parts are external to boiler, you are able to use generic parts if need be, you are not tied into specific boiler manf parts and their pie in the sky pricing policy.

You would allways have hot water if there are problems with the boiler, and in 10-15 years time a boiler replacement is straight forward.

I personally don't mind visible pipework but many of my customers like them boxed in. I would advise you hire a joiner and after the install is complete get them boxed in.
I dislike talking to customers who tell you they have no idea about budget, because they do, I would much prefer being advised what my budget is and designing the best available system. Some installers are quite impartial to brands and may offer more than one solution.

Tell them to post an invoice and pay after you are happy with it.

Installers aren't going to supply and fit a full CH system and leave empty handed for you to pay when you feel like it.

If there's a problem, any reputable firm will call back. It's called a guarantee. You can't guarantee things that haven't been paid for.

They don't have any choice. It's not unreasonable to see that all is well before paying out thousands of pounds. You have plenty of clout when they haven't been paid.

They don't have any choice. It's not unreasonable to see that all is well before paying out thousands of pounds. You have plenty of clout when they haven't been paid.

You gotta be kidding? , be like asking to take a vehical away without paying for it , or

There's no firm that'll give you £5.5Ks credit. Joe, you're a complete Rsole.

They don't have the choice. What are they going to do? They can come back for a cheque when the customer is happy with it. (I do my own installs anyway) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back