Estimate of cost for combi boiler and 11 radiators

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

And for Agile - four companies (two independent) - three totally different solutions offered, all claiming to be the best, all slating the other options. Prices at 3.5K, 5.5K, 7K and 10K. Two companies, as you suggest, recommended by the local trade supplier! BG even had an argument in front of us, the engineer suggesting a combi and the supervisor telling us to stick with the 'good old tradittional arrangement'. And funnily enough a couple of these speaking to us as if we were stupid!!! So we turn to the internet for some further advice - what do we find - lots of people complaining about breakdowns and lots of installers blaming this on other installers due to bad installation.

So, whilst I do not believe that everyone is going to rip me off and whilst I am intelligent enough to take little notice of Rogue Traders, I am trying to get as much information as possible BECAUSE YES I DO THINK THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE I COULD GET RIPPED OFF!!!!

Sponsored Links
What were you expecting? A one size fits all, off-the-shelf package at a UK-wide fixed price. You're buying mass market products and services in a free market jungle. It isn't like getting an NHS prescription.

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

And for Agile - four companies (two independent) - three totally different solutions offered, all claiming to be the best, all slating the other options. Prices at 3.5K, 5.5K, 7K and 10K. Two companies, as you suggest, recommended by the local trade supplier! BG even had an argument in front of us, the engineer suggesting a combi and the supervisor telling us to stick with the 'good old tradittional arrangement'. And funnily enough a couple of these speaking to us as if we were stupid!!! So we turn to the internet for some further advice - what do we find - lots of people complaining about breakdowns and lots of installers blaming this on other installers due to bad installation.

So, whilst I do not believe that everyone is going to rip me off and whilst I am intelligent enough to take little notice of Rogue Traders, I am trying to get as much information as possible BECAUSE YES I DO THINK THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE I COULD GET RIPPED OFF!!!!

Without seeing your home, without knowing the logistics of The Isle of White & as someone that estimates for work of this nature daily, I'd say £5.5K sounds about right. From what you say; it'll not be the easiest install, and 'drop feeds' always take time to do correctly.
Strangely, £5.5K is about the mid-range price too!!

Thanks guys.

Tibbot - I fully appreciate what you are saying and was not expecting a one size fits all - please do not think I am suggesting all heating installers are bad. This is not the case - I guess I was expecting four companies to suggest a similar system with similar size boiler, etc - I would then expect, as you suggerst, a range of prices. What makes it so difficult is each person has a different view on the type of system, the size of boiler required, etc. which makes it very difficult to work out who is suggesting the most appropriate system. The money is not the main issue - it is ensuring that you get the correct type of system for our needs. As somebody who knows little about heating, all this conflicting information makes it difficult to know who to turn to - or maybe all the systems are ok?

Anyway, thanks again for all the info. We will try and seek recommendations and another couple of quotes. If all else fails I guess we just the keep the warm air for another few years.

Sponsored Links
3.5k is too cheap. 10k is a bit heavy.
somewhere in between is about right.
thats probably about as vague as pricing a job without a look round or set of plans.
recommendation has to be the way, ask your neighbours and others in the street.

Without seeing your home, without knowing the logistics of The Isle of White & as someone that estimates for work of this nature daily, I'd say £5.5K sounds about right.

From what you say; it'll not be the easiest install, and 'drop feeds' always take time to do correctly.
Strangely, £5.5K is about the mid-range price too!!

I appreciate that you are in Scotland but the OP has now admitted he is on the Isle of Wight ( not White ! ) I do hope that I can spell most of the Scottish Isles though!

Even though some Scottish places like Drumnadrochit ( BBC had an SHF link site near there ) did take a few minutes to learn!

Drops from floor above are often quicker to install than taking up downstairs floorboards. Should probably be cheaper too.

My quote would be £5640 ( in our local area ).

Tony

If it were me I'd go for the cheap one. They may be trying to make a name in the area and working cheaper than the established crowd.

The proviso I would make is: That they upgrade the boiler to a well known upper end boiler and upgrade the rads to well known good rads. That should make the quote about £4K.

Then what you KNOW you have is a very good boiler, very good rads and a system that works when they fire it up.

Tell them to post an invoice and pay after you are happy with it.

Why pay more than you need to?

What are the more expensive quotes going to give you?

You're quite right Tony, there's no excuse for getting place names wrong.

As regarding the drop feeds, as said without seeing the property.

To the OP; please have faith in your installer.

Thanks for all the info - just arranged for a very highly recommended independent installer to come in today so hopefully make a decision on who to go with over the weekend.

Could I just ask one more question - what is the expected life of a combi boiler and would a normal (just the basic system with water cylinder) boiler last longer as it does not have pump and valve etc in the boiler (so I am told). Should add that we always have yearly services and would most definately keep this up with the new system.

Thanks again.

What is awkward about doing drops ? its an everyday part of the job no more awkward than any other bit of an instal

Thanks guys.

. If all else fails I guess we just the keep the warm air for another few years.
That may, in all seriousness , be the best option :- I`m sure I read , in a Trade Rag recently that warm air heating is having a renaissance - and new efficient heaters being made :idea: Have a search of the net starting with Johnson and Starley

namsag";p="2115930 said:
What is awkward about doing drops ? its an everyday part of the job no more awkward than any other bit of an instal[/quot

Depends what way they're done & how rough you are!!

Something i would not even expect a first year apprentice to have trouble with .
What is hard about using a spirit level, a tape measure to space your clips equally and using the right size drill bit to go through ceiling and possibly a single or double set to avoid a joist.
Guess some must have difficulty with the basics

Something i would not even expect a first year apprentice to have trouble with .
What is hard about using a spirit level, a tape measure to space your clips equally and using the right size drill bit to go through ceiling and possibly a single or double set to avoid a joist.
Guess some must have difficulty with the basics

Oh you are talking about being rough rough, like no trunking or anything!! Yeah well each to their own I guess? We always try to conceal drop feeds, I mean you don't want the poor people's gaff looking like a fecking council house with pipes everywhere!! Any monkey can throw pipes in as you discribe mate, but for a quality job it takes time.

Plastic Trunking on 15 looks ****e and on 22 looks even worse neat pipework painted on show looks far better than hiding rough as piping in trunkin.

So piping on show is not thrown in it has to look neat for that particular reason .

Oh yeah trunking is so much more a skilled job to do can you explain that one to me as i am at a loss and can you explain to me what the or anything is if trunking not used ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back