Ethernet cables through ceiling & joists or cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wasn't sure how to categorise this question so feel free to move it into more suitable sub-forum.

I'm looking for some advice.

I'd like to route some (7-8) CAT6 Ethernet cables from downstairs living room (router) to the upstairs bedrooms. Most of the cables will be used for HDMI-over-CAT6 rather than data.

The walls are solid and old (1930s) so I don't want to do it the right way by chasing all cabling into the walls. However, I have the advantage of flooring being up due to it being replaced so I have full access to the underlying floorboards.

I see 2 options:

1. Go through the ceiling and place all cabling in trunking against the downstairs room wall. I'm not a fan of trunking but it'd be behind furniture and out of the way. Missus' approved. This would involve feeding cables through joists across the upstairs floor. I'm not sure I want to weaken 80 year old joists by drilling holes in them though.

2. Feed the cables through insulated cavity wall and run them in conduit along the external wall. I know all about drip loop, downward facing hole, etc. I had a new damp proof course installed 6 months ago on the wall I'd be drilling through. Would this cause any problems?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Kam

Sponsored Links
It's for being able to use Sky, PC and PlayStation 4 in multiple locations. I want it all in a AV cabinet and be able to use it throughout the house.

Ah so you've got some RF/bluetooth, IR (or sky app) and whatever PS4 uses for control panel going back the other direction too presumably, worth a check that these don't drop out and limit where you can use them upstairs - some HDMI tx/rx units have IR transmission built in. Not a fan of cavity wall insulation for this reason, makes it tricky if you want to add cabling without chasing walls or having cabling outside, these may be the only options though. There are wireless HDMI transceivers, I can't vouch for the quality/transmission distance through brickwork is though - haven't used any.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the HDMI TXs/RXs I'm looking to buy have integrated IR and transmit it through the CAT6 cable.
PS4 is Bluetooth and only has to go through lathe & plaster ceiling so I'm sure it'll reach.

I'm ruling out wireless and powerline adapters as they're simply not as fast and reliable as cable.

If she who must be obeyed says trunking is fine then get on with it! I wish I could get away with that. It's chasing all the way here.

How big are the joists? I wouldn't be overly concerned with drilling a small hole for cables through the centreline of most joists, the top and the bottom take most of the strain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back