Ethnic minorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is some enquiry starting as to why ethnic minoritys are making up a disproportionate amount of corona victims
Figures stated on the radio suggest they make up a 3rd of all deaths :eek:

Apparently the majority of doctors that have lost there lives are also from ethnic minoritys??

Poverty? Housing conditions?

Dunno

Sponsored Links
can be many things including several generations in some groups in the same houshold
it can also be historical genetic with some groups being more proned to certain situation whilst less at risk with other situations

Sponsored Links
can be many things including several generations in some groups in the same houshold
it can also be historical genetic with some groups being more proned to certain situation whilst less at risk with other situations
Or bigger families?

I'm sorry but a one third of all deaths means that two thirds are not from the "ethnic minority" groups. In my book that means that, by far, the most deaths are from us "non ethnic groups" whatever the h ell that means. Looks like more sensationalism to me.

The medical staff who have died, about 20 now , 15 are ethnic minority, all 10 doctors are ethnic minorities. This is explained by the fact that about 40% of NHS Hospital drs are non white.

ONS nor NHS have not released stats by ethnicity so cannot say whether 1/3 victims are ethnic.

I'm sorry but a one third of all deaths means that two thirds are not from the "ethnic minority" groups. In my book that means that, by far, the most deaths are from us "non ethnic groups" whatever the h ell that means. Looks like more sensationalism to me.

It's not the numbers, it’s the proportions.
"Only 14% of people in England and Wales are from ethnic minority backgrounds, according to the 2011 census. However, the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre found that 34% of more than 3,000 critically ill coronavirus patients identified as black, Asian or minority ethnic."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52255863

If there is an over representation of ethnic minorities in the nhs who are being exposed daily to the virus without ppe they are likely bringing home the virus to their homes and community.

Thats a likely vector of transmission.

It's not the numbers, it’s the proportions.
"Only 14% of people in England and Wales are from ethnic minority backgrounds, according to the 2011 census. However, the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre found that 34% of more than 3,000 critically ill coronavirus patients identified as black, Asian or minority ethnic."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52255863
how accurate is the 14% bit. especially considering the two hot spots are London and Birmingham. May be these area's are closer to the 34% in which case there is no ethnicity imbalance occurring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London
56% non white british

There is a study going on in Iceland right now as to who is more susceptible and why.
They have so far tested 10% of their population (as opposed to 0.5% here), and are being a bit smarter about how.
As well as testing people with symptoms, they are picking people out at random from the phone book and offering a test.
That should give a better idea of what is really happening.
So far the tests have shown that of those testing positive approximately 50% had little or no symptoms.
(Bars and restaurants etc are still open with restrictions)

Published UK test figures (reliability not guaranteed) are showing that of "pillar 2" (key workers and their households), about one third of those people tested are infected. However the numbers tested are pathetically small.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

I am sure that representative sampling must be going on to estimate the number of people infected and recovered in the general population, but these figures are not being published.

Etnic minorities also tend to live in urban areas, which are worst hit ,take Brent (near 1000 cases) for example only 15% white British.
Noticed that Bradford with a large Asian population has low cases.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back