EU unhappy with astrazeneca

Sponsored Links
So, we (the uk) will announce today plans to help other countries identify variants of the virus & provide vaccines.
The EU announce plans to block supply of vaccines out of the EU.
Nice.......

They have screwed up and they don’t want to take the blame. When AZ announced they had a vaccine ready to go. The EU response was it hadn’t even started the validation process. Now while the vaccine still hasn’t been approved, they are moaning about supply. The AZ vaccine was funded by U.K. and US taxes as well as AZ. Nothing from the EU. It’s being rolled out not for profit.

This was all being scaled up last summer while the EU were busy focused on PPE and travel rules. They have some serious catching up to do and AZ have been reporting bullying for weeks now.

That's kinda about right.

I'm not pro EU or brexit, I'm on the fence, but the EU's wording is very much like that of a spoilt child. I'm pretty certain if astrazeneca could produce the quantity they would, they aren't just having production issues because they can't be bothered. I'm also not entirely sure I am comfortable with a superstate getting involved in the running of individual businesses, if they decide to stop deliveries and take it themselves then that's breaking other contracts.

I can't help but feel the EU are acting like this to hide their own failings, its not news that they have been extremely slow off the mark with vaccinations.

Sponsored Links
They have screwed up and they don’t want to take the blame. When AZ announced they had a vaccine ready to go. The EU response was it hadn’t even started the validation process. Now while the vaccine still hasn’t been approved, they are moaning about supply. The AZ vaccine was funded by U.K. and US taxes as well as AZ. Nothing from the EU. It’s being rolled out not for profit.

This was all being scaled up last summer while the EU were busy focused on PPE and travel rules. They have some serious catching up to do and AZ have been reporting bullying for weeks now.

Apparently the EU paid 290 million up front in August to help ramp up production.

Az have been quiet regarding the actual problem. All they have said is it's production issues I think in Belgium

They’ve just said on the radio, we opted out of the EU procurement program last year meaning we could act faster. Also they are demanding AstraZenica have every EU language printed on the bottle label.
Lol.

Also, the EU was slow to order due to the level of bureaucracy, and when they woke up they only went and backed the only vaccine that failed trials, Sanofil. :rolleyes:

Never mind the ventilator debacle.

Strange. No defence of the EU's behaviour from the usual U.K. hating suspects. :whistle:

Also, the EU was slow to order due to the level of bureaucracy, and when they woke up they only went and backed the only vaccine that failed trials, Sanofil. :rolleyes:

Never mind the ventilator debacle.

i'd like to understand a bit more about the deals the UK have made for COVID vaccines, information is a bit hard to find.

is the AZ vaccine made in the UK? i've seen some reports that teh first batches were made in NL and DE, but production should then be wholly in the UK, but no mention of when.

i'd like to understand a bit more about the deals the UK have made for COVID vaccines, information is a bit hard to find.

is the AZ vaccine made in the UK? i've seen some reports that teh first batches were made in NL and DE, but production should then be wholly in the UK, but no mention of when.
Pfizer is manufactured in Belgium. AstraZeneca UK stock is made in Oxfordshire and Staffordshire and bottled in Wales.

It all depends on what the contract says.

The EU can be as grumpy as it likes but they can't physically stop the UK getting the AZ Vaccine as for UK consumption it's mostly made in the UK . They could block/manage exports of all EU manufactured vaccines, which is basically the Pfizer Vaccine, so they get more of that, and we get less/none. But Pfizer is now the minority of our vaccine supply so it's not vital. They could exert pressure on AZ to get some of our supply diverted to the EU, but that'll just be red meat to Boris and co. who'll just slap export controls on and lap up the jingoism, so I doubt they'll bother.

If they did it then that might impact our second dose regime, but we're just making that up as we go along so it isn't really additional risk.

But if AstraZenica have cocked up on the contract, committing to delivery and then failing, that seems like it's going to come with a stiff fine.

Sponsored Links
Back