EU unhappy with astrazeneca

But if AstraZenica have cocked up on the contract, committing to delivery and then failing, that seems like it's going to come with a stiff fine.

apparently the EU are threatening legal action.

no one has said what the reason is for the delay's, but i think (and it is only guessing) that the paperwork brought about by Brexit might be a big factor, this is for importing the chemicals required aswell as exporting the final product.

Sponsored Links
apparently the EU are threatening legal action.

They would be foolish to push too hard.

no one has said what the reason is for the delay's, but i think (and it is only guessing) that the paperwork brought about by Brexit might be a big factor, this is for importing the chemicals required aswell as exporting the final product.

As I understand it, it's about altering the plant to ramp up production, which will result in a shortfall early on.

Ironically, the production shortfall is being caused by production problems at at European vaccine factory in Belgium run by Novasep, a France based company.

Sponsored Links
that'll be why they are most unhappy, it cant be the european facilities fault or the french..
What the EU is unhappy about is that, despite not having approved the vaccine and despite having agreed a contract with AZ after the UK, AZ is not diverting some of it's UK manufacturing capacity to fulfil some of the shortfall caused by AZ's EU partner's factory's difficulties.

They want the UK's supply compromised to address their own factory's failings.

AZ has similar problems production problems in Australia and Thailand, but funnily enough no other country is being reported as threatening to withhold medical supplies to bully AZ into diverting supply from other countries.

This is how the UK treats its vaccine development and provision

upload_2021-1-25_19-38-21-png.220196

This is what the EU does - block it

upload_2021-1-25_19-38-55-png.220197

I wonder if that's the full story
This is what the EU does
this...

"Last Friday, the company AstraZeneca surprisingly informed the Commission and the European Union Member States that it intends to supply considerably fewer doses in the coming weeks than agreed and announced.

This new schedule is not acceptable to the European Union.

That is why I wrote a letter to the company at the weekend in which I asked important and serious questions.

The European Union has pre-financed the development of the vaccine and the production and wants to see the return.

The European Union wants to know exactly which doses have been produced by AstraZeneca and where exactly so far and if or to whom they have been delivered."

"The answers of the company have not been satisfactory so far. That's why a second meeting is scheduled for tonight.

The European Union wants the ordered and pre-financed doses to be delivered as soon as possible. And we want our contract to be fully fulfilled."

"In addition, the Commission has today proposed to the 27 Member States in the Steering Board that an export transparency mechanism will be put in place as soon as possible.

The European Union has supported the rapid development and production of several vaccines against COVID-19 with a total of €2.7 billion.

We want clarity on transactions and full transparency concerning the export of vaccines from the EU.

In the future, all companies producing vaccines against COVID-19 in the EU will have to provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries."

It all depends on what the contract says.

But if AstraZenica have cocked up on the contract, committing to delivery and then failing, that seems like it's going to come with a stiff fine.
The way this stuff works is the early orders get priority terms.. Obviously a vaccine in early stages is a huge risk, once it works everyone wants to order it.

The US and UK funded the ramp up. 1.5bn investment and they secured priority. No company would sign up to guarantees it could destroy them. Its all likely to have been done on a more open book, reasonable endeavours basis. EUs "legal action" is to change the law. which (and I'm not international treaty expert) I think is illegal.

e.g.
In the future, all companies producing vaccines against COVID-19 in the EU will have to provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries."

Is about as far as their teeth go on this.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's the full story

this...

"Last Friday, the company AstraZeneca surprisingly informed the Commission and the European Union Member States that it intends to supply considerably fewer doses in the coming weeks than agreed and announced.

This new schedule is not acceptable to the European Union.

That is why I wrote a letter to the company at the weekend in which I asked important and serious questions.

The European Union has pre-financed the development of the vaccine and the production and wants to see the return.

The European Union wants to know exactly which doses have been produced by AstraZeneca and where exactly so far and if or to whom they have been delivered."

Why are you just quoting nonsense without adding anything to the debate?

The EU has not even approved the vaccine yet. What happens if they don't approve it, they still want to be supplied with billions of vaccine they can't use and deny that to others?

FFS.

Sponsored Links
Back