EV are they worth it?

Firefighters needed four hours to douse the flames, in part because the battery kept reigniting. When the blaze was finally over, about 30,000 gallons of water had been poured on it—what the department normally uses in a month.

Apparently this was a small car fire ( that is not confirmed )

Sponsored Links
Apparently this was a small car fire ( that is not confirmed )
Yes. Nobody is denying that it is a problem that needs to be overcome! But hopefully, you read the whole story and you realised that already, there had been a development in the technique for fighting the fire? That's exactly the point I was making - the problems (and what new technology doesn't have problems?!) will be overcome.

We all want independent, personal mobility. The motor car has now been around for log enough that we've forgotten what life was like before it. We've come to take all its advantages for granted, and now, all we can do is carp about its disadvantages. Whether you acknowledge the climate science or not, is one thing, but absolutely nobody can deny that fossil fuels are a finite resource and we're running out of them and / or becoming increasingly dependent on regimes around the world that aren't very nice and don't like us very much! So the question is, what's your proposed alternative?

Sponsored Links
But hopefully, you read the whole story and you realised that already, there had been a development in the technique for fighting the fire?
Yes I read it, Very much a marketing publication "look at our fantastic batteries" with little if any information about how to deal with the consequences of damage to or failure of a lithium battery.

Techniques for dealing with lithium fires are being developed but the basic physics of cooling a runaway cell cannot be avoided. Either large volumes of water are needed. Water which which becomes contaminated with toxic chemicals and then cannot be allowed to get into the drainage system.

Yes I read it, Very much a marketing publication "look at our fantastic batteries" with little if any information about how to deal with the consequences of damage to or failure of a lithium battery.

Techniques for dealing with lithium fires are being developed but the basic physics of cooling a runaway cell cannot be avoided. Either large volumes of water are needed. Water which which becomes contaminated with toxic chemicals and then cannot be allowed to get into the drainage system.
Except for LFP which are much more stable.

But again, EV fires are very rare.

If anyone does any serious painting on exterior wood, they will know how insidious water is. It will find its way in every which way. This is why EV's go up in smoke.

EVs do not use non-rechargeable AA batteries.

Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries do not contain any lithium metal.

EVs do not use non-rechargeable AA batteries.

Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries do not contain any lithium metal.

According to wiki: Li-ion cells use an intercalated lithium compound as the material at the positive electrode and typically graphite at the negative electrode.

Lithium compound has lithium in it. Water doesn't care if the lithium is in powder form or solid form before causing ignition..

According to wiki: Li-ion cells use an intercalated lithium compound as the material at the positive electrode and typically graphite at the negative electrode.

Lithium compound has lithium in it. Water doesn't care if the lithium is in powder form or solid form before causing ignition..
Some of them do, some dont, LFP doesn't contain metallic lithium but nearly all of the higher powered ones do.

Sorry, but "...look at whose fantastic batteries"?! Who is advertising batteries in either of those two articles?

I note you've sidestepped the question about what you would do instead...:rolleyes:

Once again, I am reminded of Roosevelt's "Man in the arena" speech...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

This thread has taken a somewhat weird turn?

"EV's go on fire"

"Not as often as ICEs"

"Yes but when they do, they're worse"

"We know, but those problems are being tackled as we speak. What would you do instead?".

"EVs go on fire"

Where are we actually going with this?

Sorry, but "...look at whose fantastic batteries"?! Who is advertising batteries in either of those two articles?

I though you were refering to this article by Samsung

Lithium salts are not lithium metal.
The two are totally different both chemically and physically.
Just like all other salts and other compounds.

Na/Cl is required for life, but cl kills most life. So yes salt not the same as the elements used to make the salt.

However the mileage required before the CO2 released using petrol in an oil car equals the CO2 released in making the batteries is huge, there is no set figure as it varies car to car, I am slowly raking up the miles on my e-bike, it only measures miles when using the battery, not when peddling without assistance or going down hill so in around a year done 200 miles.

Yes I know using the battery produces less CO2 than using my mussels. But whole idea of going on the bike is to get some exercise. Should we close down all Jim's due to the CO2 produced when exercising.

However the way it is going soon there will be no option, waiting for man with red flag walking in front of the car, already have 20 MPH speed limits so push bikes can over take cars.

Sponsored Links
Back