Extending 2.5mm2 by 2 feet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Knowing the general consensus regarding terminal blocks/connector strips on here I'll choose my words carefully.

I want to extend a 3 core 2.5mm2 by about two feet. I have 3A connector blocks at hand. Yes, there is the wago and ideal range of connectors to consider but this is DIY and I'm not going to that expense.

It just so happen that the connection itself will be accessible via an access panel. This is the only reason I'm considering extending a cable in this circumstance.

My question is : when making the connection what is the stronger/better way to use the terminal block/connector ? Two of the same core terminating in the same side or one on each side ?

Does the terminal block/connector have to be wrapped in insulation tape or can this be avoided ?

Many thanks for any information.

Sponsored Links
My question is : when making the connection what is the stronger/better way to use the terminal block/connector ? Two of the same core terminating in the same side or one on each side ?
I would say the best way is to have both wires going the full length of the connector so that both wires are held by both screws.
One each end or both at the same end matters not.

Does the terminal block/connector have to be wrapped in insulation tape or can this be avoided ?
No, pointless and the ordinary stuff turns to mush after a while..

Would it be better to use a back box or pattress box with a blanking plate?

Sponsored Links

Ignoring the rest of your post....

The better way is both cores bared, full length into the connector, so both terminal screws tighten on to both cores. That is either both in one side, or one from either end, so the two lay fully side by side. No current is then taken by the connector, or it's screws.

I'm hoping the 3A is a typo and you really mean 30A.
Easiest (with solid cores) is 1 from each side, enough core exposed so both screws bite on both cores.
Wago etc are very DIY but for your application (as long as the access panel is secured such that a tool is required to remove it) terminal block is fine. If you used Wago types and terminate properly there are no live parts exposed so the access panel security is less of an issue.

Apologies I did mean to say 30 A
Much appreciated to you all for helping me with this

Apologies I did mean to say 30 A
Much appreciated to you all for helping me with this

I use the smallest connector block, into which the wires will actually fit, side by side. The current rating is just a guide to what you can squeeze into them, rather than a hard rule. Idea is, not to have the current flow through the connector block at all, if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back