Extending a Concrete Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma, and I'm not great at things like this so I wonder if you guys can offer some advice.

I have a small shed at the bottom of the garden that is on top of an approx 3/4 inch concrete base. This doesn't reach the back garden fence and there is an approx 20 inch gap at the moment. I want to build a small garage in its place that backs on to the back fence, and also extended it the opposite way a little so I can store my bike in there.

My question is...is it possible to extend this slab, i.e dig and concrete the current gap, and also the extension portion, and then apply a 'screed' over the top to give it the appearance of being one slab?

Or

do I have to dig up the current slab and create a whole new one?

Not sure if that makes sense but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

JD

Sponsored Links
If your building on it, I would say that 3/4 of in inch is very thin :!: How about footings for your walls :?: ;)

Sorry, should have said, its still going to be a wooden building, not brick. Just a bit bigger to accomodate a motorbike. Just a bigger shed really.

In that case, in my opinion, you could probably get away with it. I would probably go a bit deeper with the new bit tho'

Anyone else have a better idea?

Sponsored Links
great....but do you think it is possible to apply a layer over the top to unit it all? Not sure about concrete binding to concrete.

Johnny Dangerously said:
great....but do you think it is possible to apply a layer over the top to unit it all? Not sure about concrete binding to concrete.

It would end up being a very thin layer and probably wouldnt do much good. If you intend to extend then I, personally, wouldnt bother. (Maybe I'm just lazy) ;)

thanks for the advice.....I'm still kinda tempted to hire a breaker and dig the old slab up and create a complete new one to make sure its as good as can be, but I may change my mind when I actually get round to diging all that up!

did you mean 3/4 of an inch as in less than an inch or did you mean 3-4 inches as in less than 5 but more than 2.
If the former than I would just dig the whole lot up smash it up as hardcore and lay a decent 4" slab.If you meant the latter then I would just shutter off the rest of the area and fill it with concrete.
With regards to covering it you would need at leastb 2 " to cover it succesfully, though you could have a go with self levelling compound.

Johnny Dangerously said:
thanks for the advice.....I'm still kinda tempted to hire a breaker and dig the old slab up and create a complete new one to make sure its as good as can be, but I may change my mind when I actually get round to diging all that up!

That would be the ideal!

if your not to worried about the cost (which isnt really that much) then id go for redoing it all

sorry, yes I meant it's appox 3 or 4 inches thick. I think for neatness sake, I'll break it up and get rid of it. At least that way most of the hole will already be there and I can probably use some of the rubble as harcorde for the new slab (assuming there isn't a lot of it under the slab already). Then I can make a nice new slab from scratch and please my perfectionist side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back