extending ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to get an extending ladder to use for some work on trees.

I don't know anything about extending ladders can anyone please tell me what I should be looking for?

Are there good quality and bad quality?

Are they safe at all heights?

Thanks
mygoose

Sponsored Links
A million dollar question but I'd go for quality aluminium ones (for weight) and see that they have a good locking mechanism on the rungs. Large extensions may have wheels to help raise them up against a building, some come with stand - offs which allow them to stay clear of gutters etc.
They are unsafe at any height - unless you know what you are doing. Where trees are concerned you cant expect the top of the ladder to rest securely so you need someone standing by to help.
With mine, I stamp the bottom sides into the soft earth, and lash them with rope at the top.....keep them well away from the vertical!
John :)

Thanks, great help.
Are there any good brands or bad brands?
What is the tallest to get?

Sponsored Links
Afraid I can't recommend any particular make, my own ladders are ancient!
Very long extensions may prove difficult to erect by yourself to any great height......just to be borne in mind!

Thanks.

What sizes are they and what size is best to get?

mygoose

Last edited:
What work are you planning on doing, ladders and trees aren't a great mix

(there's hundreds more videos like that)

They will be cutting some high branches off trees.

I don't know about the sizes but want to make sure it is tall enough as don't want to have to get another bigger one.

Thanks for help
mygoose

I note that you say "they" will be cutting high branches. If they are tree surgeons I would cancel them and get a proper contractor. The professional tree surgeons clime the trees with spikes on their legs which dig in the trunk and straps around the tree. I have seen several trees done this way and they nip up the trees like monkeys with all the proper safety gear.

Would someone please let me know the different sizes of extending ladders and recommend a good quality one that can be used for my high house and to cut off the odd branch leaning against it.

Thanks
mygoose

Ray is talking a lot of sense here.....if you hire first you can duplicate what you've hired if you get on with them. They wil also be excellent quality.
My own double aluminium extensions are in the region of 14' each - they are brilliant when set up in position and steady as a rock. They also look like they have come from the shipyards :eek:
However......they are too heavy for me to handle on my own now (getting on a bit) and they are too long to go on the van roof rack ideally.
If I was buying again I'd go for triple extensions which were much lighter and I could fully erect myself.

Yes all great advice from both.

I can't hire for lots of reasons so would you please give me a link to a light (probably getting on more than you) triple extensions excellent quality one that you yourself would buy.

Thanks for help
mygoose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back