extending ladders

Sponsored Links
Avoid the ones with square rungs or round rungs. They are uncomfortable to work on for any length of time. Get 'D' rungs.

Also, avoid ones where the three sections are all the same width...

207-5813_PI_TPS584676

Because they take up more space in storage, and you want the base to be as wide as possible for stability. The ones where each section 'nests' inside the next section are best, easier to carry, too...

domestic-triple-extension-ladders.jpg

Lyte or TB Davies would be good brands to look at. Make sure it says EN131, or Class 1.

Don't buy Class 3 (AKA 'domestic') ladders, even for home use, they are allowed to make them with weaker stiles and have a shorter overlap between sections when extended, which makes them bouncy when going up or down.

Sponsored Links
This is all great advice and just what I need.

Thanks everybody
my goose

Thanks again

So, I am going to head for Jewsons and Screwfix.

The highest point of our house is the Chimney about 30 ft high

I am going to look for a light aluminium ladder.EN131, or Class 1.

D Rungs not square or round rungs

Not ones where the three sections are all the same width

Look for Lyte or TB Davies

Each section nests inside next one

Base as wide as possible for stability

Have I missed anything?

Is there anything else?

Thanks again
mygoose

To reach 30 feet you need a 40' ladder.
Check with the supplier that the ladder's real height is what it says on the tin.
A lot of sectional ladders "forget" to allow for the overlap .

If you have never been up a 30 foot ladder good luck

To reach 30 feet you need a 40' ladder.
Check with the supplier that the ladder's real height is what it says on the tin.
A lot of sectional ladders "forget" to allow for the overlap .

If you have never been up a 30 foot ladder good luck

You wouldnt catch me going up a 30'0 ladder :eek:

Trees and ladders not a good mix!

Presumably it can be used part folded at lower levels?

mygoose

Just remove one of the extensions if you dont need it.
30’ is bloody high, and youll need muscles like Popeye to extend the ladders so far.
When I were a lad.....my dad would hold the base ladder firmly, and pretty close to vertical. I’d then shin up the thing, pushing the extension as I went. Worked too!
John :)

Is this 3 10ft sections? Is this what I said OK?

Thanks again

So, I am going to head for Jewsons and Screwfix.

The highest point of our house is the Chimney about 30 ft high

I am going to look for a light aluminium ladder.EN131, or Class 1.

Look for Lyte or TB Davies

Have I missed anything?

Is there anything else?

Thanks again
mygoose

Does anyone know an online supplier of the extending ladder with the features you all advised? I canot find one.

About 30 feet

Lyte or TB Davies

Very Light aluminium ladder. EN131, or Class 1.

Thanks again
mygoose

Thanks.

I want to buy one not hire.

I don't know anything about them and I need some help because the trouble is you often don't know you've got the wrong thing until you've bought it.
mygoose

I have a very large and very heavy industrial grade double extension, it is long enough to easily reach the apex of our end wall. I can just about manage one section of it on my own, as a double it needs two. It is so very heavy, that it was near impossible to raise the top section when leaning against a wall, so I bolted a set of wheels to the top end to make it roll up a wall - much easier than fighting the wall surface when raising an heavy ladder. I also have a light- weight single ladder, which is just long enough to reach the up- stairs window sills comfortably. Using hooks and ropes, I was able to redo the soffits, fascias and gutters a few years ago, mostly from the long ladder.

I have a tall pair of steps, which make painting our slightly higher than normal ceilings easier to paint, then couple of pairs of 7 & 8 tread steps, then finally a three tread, which is good for reaching high shelves.

You can never have too many steps and ladders..

I have just noticed the overnight wind has managed to snap a small tree at the far end of my back garden - anyone need any fire wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back