Extending mains wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may turn out to be quite a lengthy post - so please bare with me.

A single plug socket in the kitchen has not been used for years, due to it's location and the fact that it looks a bit dodgy now - metal front that is corroded. Whilst doing some other jobs I decided it would be best to remove it. Off with the mains and after quite bit of chiselling and swearing got it removed.

Three wires come in from the top and three from underneath (the "ring"?). the metal back was really badly corroded but I did notice one of the earth wires was connected to the terminal on it. I replaced the box and socket with new plastic ones, however I put both earth wires together into the back of the plug socket instead of putting one into the terminal in the box and everything seems ok?

Given it works ok I would like to use the plug socket again - perhaps put in a double however, the wires are way too short (sunk in the wall) for me to move the plug socket for better accessibility. So any tips and how I can lengthen the mains wires in the wall to a new plug socket?

I have read about and seen 30 amp 3 terminal junction boxes. If I use one on these do I put the wires coming into from the top with the wires coming from below and then put a new length of mains cable out form the other side and into the back of the new plug socket? Obviously making sure that 2 reds are together and one red out the other side etc. This would mean that the new socket only had 3 wires into the back of it and not 6 as it does now.

Alternatively do I have to use 2 junction boxes one for the wires coming in from the top with a new length of mains cable coming out the other side and then the same for the wires coming up from the bottom. This way there would be, as there is now, 6 wires going into the back of the new single or double plug socket.

Any tips, help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
With a radial or spur, if it works then likely OK, with a ring however working does not show it is OK, testing is important, the other point is socket position shows likely position of cables, so often not easy to move a few inched because you need some thing to show cable route, added to that new sockets need to RCD protected, so although easy enough for an electrician to extend a ring, for the DIY guy it can be a problem.

So although as an electrician I would extend the ring, as DIY may be easier to fit a fused connection unit (FCU) and a spur off that, and if no RCD in consumer unit then a RCD FCU would likely be easy way to proceed. Easy for an electrician to test with a loop impedance meter, not so easy for DIY guy to justify the £200 to buy one.

Three wires come in from the top and three from underneath (the "ring"?).
That would be an assumption, it could just as easily be a radial or even part of a spurred set-up.

I did notice one of the earth wires was connected to the terminal on it. however I put both earth wires together into the back of the plug socket instead of putting one into the terminal in the box
The two earths (CPCs) should have been terminated to the socket outlet face plate originally and not one leg to the backbox, if the outlet plate is metallic then it is common to find an earth tail between face plate and metal backboxes.
Given it works ok
Working OK, does not meaning working safely! Safety has to be proved.
I would like to use the plug socket again - perhaps put in a double however, the wires are way too short (sunk in the wall) for me to move the plug socket for better accessibility. So any tips and how I can lengthen the mains wires in the wall to a new plug socket?
You cannot simply extend cables, without maintaining the safe zones of cables or the addition of mechanical protection and also taking into consideration of maintenance free joints, if the joint is no longer accessible for inspection, test, maintenance and repair.

*Firstly you need to establish what type of circuit it is, ring, radial or some type of spurred set-up?
*Then you once you have established that, you then can make a decision on what is the best/safest way to proceed and comply to regulations.
*If you have no RCD protection on that circuit, then any new socket and newly buried cable will likely require this.
*The solution if the circuit is OK to extend, without upstream alterations. Would be to use the existing single gang location as you junction, if no RCD is present then use this point to introduce it for the new socket location. Using an RCD/FCU would allow this and you can then run/extend cables within the permitted safe zones from there to your new double gang socket.

If there is RCD protection present, then jointing the cables at the existing location, within a backbox and behind a blank plate, would be the logical solution. Then again cables can be extend from there.

https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

But please remember, it very important that any electrical work is tested and proved to be safe. Plug and Play is not a recommend safe approach to take.

Sponsored Links
Well given the wealth of technical information here, which is way above my head I don't think I will bother. Just leave the new plastic socket I've fitted and not use it all.

Apologies for "baring" my obvious ignorance but I genuinely thought I could just use an extension/junction box (or two) with some new wire to a new plug socket with better access. However, with electrics it's always best to ask. One thing at least the rusty old socket has been removed.

Thanks for all the advice btw.

Last edited:
Apologies for "baring" my obvious ignorance but I genuinely thought I could just use an extension/junction box (or two) with some new wire to a new plug socket with better access.
A lot of people are ignorant to the electrical wiring regulations, so I would not beat yourself up with regards that. You done the right thing by asking.
The problem with electrics a lot of the far more ignorant think it is a simple as connecting a few wires up, energising the circuit plug in/switch on and if it works and nothing goes bang, it is fine. Alas that is certainly not a safe process to undertake.
Things need be installed correctly and compliant, then tested, if this is not done the implication can be very bad.

You mean you don't want to see a 6 ft+ whale in a pair of speedos?

I'm offended now...

You mean you don't want to see a 6 ft+ whale in a pair of speedos?
No, we don't.

Keep your shorts on like you did here:

dxhb7t.jpg

Well, I have a beard, but my tan is not as dark and that chap is less weighty than me, but apart from that, it's a spitting image.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back