extending my light switch?

ok correction..... i did all the wiring and went to rewire the dimmer to find its a one way...dohhh. so its a quick trip down to screwfix tomorrow morning. Apart from the switch its all wired up and ready to go.

gromits put in place and ready for the wire to be passed through and stripped and wired up...
it was then that i found out i needed a new switch the other end so i tidied it up and its now awaiting the new 2 way switch
and then following instructions i connected up the other end (putting brown sleeves over the wires as instructed)

The light didnt work though when i put the power back on...is this because the second switch isnt all conected up yet?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it won't work untill you fit the other switch.

Just a little hint for next time :LOL: you can fit a lot more cable inside that box, if you make a bit of a bend in the cable before you push it back.

It makes wiring up the switch, and any future work a lot easier.

Good work ;)

To make one switch work, you need to do a temporary joint at the new switch position.

Join whatever colour wire you have used at the original switch to ONE of the other wires in a connector block. Put the remaining wire in a separate connector block.

It is possible the switch may work upside down.

Not a problem as this is temporary.

If you like, you could swap the two 'not common' wires round at the connector block end.

Yes, it won't work untill you fit the other switch.

Just a little hint for next time :LOL: you can fit a lot more cable inside that box, if you make a bit of a bend in the cable before you push it back.

It makes wiring up the switch, and any future work a lot easier.

Good work ;)

Yes, shame you didn't leave the wires a bit longer than that.
Still, you were sensible enough to use conduit so you could easily replace the cable. :D

Sponsored Links
thanks, yep i always underestimate how much wire i will need..lol

and leason learnt as it is a bloody tight areah to fiddle in.

i have a choice of a 250 W 2 way dimmer or 400W 2 way dimmer...which should i be looking at?

What is the total of watts you expect the light switch to control?

In other words, how many bulbs, and what wattage are they?

right , poped down to screwfix and got the correct dimmer switch this time and came home and wired it in...and it only bloody worked!.. :D

filled in the channel and need to just make good tomorrow and the jobs a gooden.
Thanks for everyones help who replied esp you sparkwright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back