extending my light switch?

regarding "safe zones"...if i channeled out a line straight across to the new switch would this be ok?

i have some round plastic tubeing about 1.5-2cm diam, if i put this in the channel and plastered over it would that be ok?

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine lives in an ex council flat, at some time they must have moved the light switch by the front door (directly into the lounge) as it looks as though the "handing" of the door was changed.
To one side (the original position) is a blanking plate, there is then mini trunking going up to the ceiling following the door frame to the other side to a surface mounted box, it looks awful (correctly installed but just looks wrong). I'm down there next week so will try to get a picture of it.
The door "handing" has been changed back so when the door opens it covers the new switch location. At some point when she gets a new door (another story) if it is handed the same as now I'll sort it all out - subject to fitting in with re-decorating!

regarding "safe zones"...if i channeled out a line straight across to the new switch would this be ok?

i have some round plastic tubeing about 1.5-2cm diam, if i put this in the channel and plastered over it would that be ok?

That would be allowed.

It would be allowed BUT consider the future when memory of the cable being there has faded.

An electrician MIGHT consider it possible there was cable horizontal between the two switches and avoid the area. But the average handyman/decorator/etc is unlikely consider it possible that there is a cable there, they almost always assume the cables run vertically up or down from the switches. To them only power sockets use horizontal cables.

If you do run it horizontally then leave a permanent note ( with that picture ) at the consumer unit and ensure that anyone who might be needing to drill into that wall is aware of the cable.

Sponsored Links
well today we decided to get going on the plan...so we started out by drawing some guide lines, and where the other switch will sit..
then we drill stiched to a certain depth across the wall and chilsed out the recess..
then did the hole for the new box/switch to about 25-30mm
and then put in the plastic conduit to see if it fitted ( i measured and drew well as it did :cool: )

only thing left to do now is get the back box and wire in the new switch..o and replaster over the plastic conduit.

thats a good idea about putting a picture and a note by the fuse board...might just do that.

Not required, but it won't hurt to heavily score the top of the conduit before plastering over, giving it a better surface to key too

got an MK switch and back box today from screwfix just gotta fix it in and wire it up.

scoring it is a good point...i would have forgotten to do that...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
just realised tonight that i may have the wrong cable for this job, can i use this..
which only has a black, red and earth .

or did you mean i will need to use 4 core cable?...(3 main cores and earth)

like this stuff..http://www.screwfix.com/p/6243yh-1-0mm-50m-3-core-earth/93349

i have a feeling that this is the chap im gunna need ...good price too..:cool:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-0mm-3-core-...ies_Electrical_ET&hash=item3366e7fa52[/QUOTE]

If you intend to use these switches in a two way mode then you need to use three core and earth linking the original switch to the new one (Grey Black and Brown).

At the original switch I would normally put the red (live) to L1 and black (with red sleeving) to L2. I would then connect the three core with grey to Common - brown to L1 and black to L2.
At the second switch connect the brown black and grey as per the original switch. Black and grey should have brown sleeving on.
Forgot to mention that the earths should be linked through as well. If there is no earth connector at the second switch then put it in a terminal block. Don't forget the earth sleeving.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
just realised tonight that i may have the wrong cable for this job, can i use this..
which only has a black, red and earth .
Absolutely not.

or did you mean i will need to use 4 core cable?...(3 main cores and earth)
You would have to run a 1.0 or 1.5 mm2 3 core and earth flat cable between the switches.

i have a feeling that this is the chap im gunna need ...good price too..:cool:
£1.56/m a good price?

I think not....

yep ..on rereading his post i saw that same thing. just wasnt 100% sure.

and it seemed a good price but then what do i know...i hardly ever buy cable lol

thanks flameport...thats handy as we have just had a toolstation open up near to us...wahooo lol

And while you're there make sure you have some earth sleeving, brown sleeving, two 20 mm grommets.

Make sure both switches you intend to fit actually are 2 way - with three terminals.

earth sleeving-check

brown sleeving-nope, better get some.

20mm gromits-check

left switch has 3 terminals
right dimmer has 3 terminals too.

gunna pop down to toolstation tomorrow morning and i should be set to finish this job...thanks for all your help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back