Extension cost.

Had a price for an extension...

Semi detached house, so whole width and 4m out,
That's another house
45k....this includes brickwork, roof with 2 roof windows, bi-fold doors and all plastering.
About right?
High?
Thoughts?
I have had 2 extensions and saved money by doing a lot of final stuff myself. Fitting doors, architrave, flooring, skirt, window sill, bathroom fittings, painting. Even some of the studwork that was within the original section but became part of the new build.
 
That's another house

I have had 2 extensions and saved money by doing a lot of final stuff myself. Fitting doors, architrave, flooring, skirt, window sill, bathroom fittings, painting. Even some of the studwork that was within the original section but became part of the new build.
Yes, the 45k price includes no internal work just the building and plastering.
 
About 10 years ago I had a 3m extension, I got a conservatory company to do it so it had a glass roof( it was bloody hot) that cost me 25k.
 
Price it up yourself. I'm about to build an extension that's a very similar size, but I'm doing it with a combination of DIY and trades. I've done it before, I find it works well and doesn't cost crazy amounts.

E.g. for me...

Planning drawings - by me £0
Planning permission £363

Digger and bloke for a day... £350
Soil removal... Hopefully nothing, I know people who want topsoil.
Concrete pour including pump truck... £1300
Note: No actual DIY up to this point, other than spray painting some lines on the ground.

Concrete blocks... £ to be worked out
(Will be built by me up to DPC)
Outer wall ripoff bricks that need to match existing... £1.69 each x (calculate number of bricks) - Note: probably my biggest cost, if yours are more normal bricks then you'll pay less
Inner wall nice light coloured bricks (I'm not plastering)... 42p each
Bricklayer £x per day x estimated number of days
Easy to get prices for roof trusses if getting pitched
Mate who's a carpenter says he'll help put up trusses
Cost of a roofer
Window and door... £1000 for DIY fit
etc

Obviously it all adds up, but it would be a good check for you to estimate how much you'd be looking at spending to do this sort of DIY-ish job. Then you'll know how much the bloke with the fancy pickup truck and a phone with suspiciously soft hands is making. You might even get tempted to take my approach and probably save £10k or more.
 
Last edited:
People who call themselves "Builders" often don't actually do any building these days. They sit in their overpriced van making phone calls to actual tradesmen who do the work.

The modern method seems to be to estimate how much value they think it will add to your house and charge you a tiny bit less than that. Pay the blokes to do the job and keep the vast difference.
 
Stating the bleedin obvious? :D

Obviously include what needs including! Building regs aren't always needed.

Pretty sure you'll need to follow building regs for an extension!

Party wall? Our neighbours are cows.
More reason to pay some legal bod to cover your behind.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top