Extension over inspection cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am building a single storey extension and it will go over the existing inspection chamber.

My house is end of the line so I am the only house connected to this chamber.

Do I need to retain this or can simply fit rod eyes in the kitchen and new bathroom?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Sponsored Links
The chamber is serving a purpose, i.e. allowing access to a busy drain junction. Having a rodding eye elsewhere will only serve to clear the through channel and none of the inlets, presumably.

My guess is it will still have to be retained.

Can you not completely re-hash the drains so that they are outside of the building footprint? How deep are they?

Totally agree with Noseall.

No one wants a manhole within the building footprint, so first of all look to re-arranging the drains so the manhole can be moved outside of the footprint.

If yours is the only house using the chamber there is a good chance the drains will be fairly shallow and easy to deal with. So check that.

Fitting rodding eyes to existing drainage is not always practical as you ideally need slow bends from vertical to horizontal otherwise you may simply be unable to rod them.

I have never had to rod any myself so perhaps others might enlighten me how tight a bend you can rod?

Like one of the other posters on this forum, you must make provision to bridge over the outlet sewer pipe from this manhole. If the manhole is to remain inside the building then its cover must be replaced with a screw down cover. The last problem is that the cover must be accessible once the building is up. So a floating wooden floor needs a trap in it. A tiled floor needs to be carefully set up, so the tiles that sit on a piece of 1" plywood that sits on the drain cover on a piece of roofing felt are stuck down with silicone or some other sealer that can be removed to lift the tiles and the trap.
I did a floating floor over a full sized drain cover and also over single tile covers to plastic rodding access points.
Frank

Sponsored Links

Image above shows drain as it is and drains after extension.

It would definitely be better to have the inspection chamber external. I know about bridging within the below DPC brickwork with lintels and thats fine.

My only issue with moving it outside is I thought there had to be a chamber at every turn. As the extension is close to the boundary I would either have to put a chamber on the neighbours side to allow the bend or put a 135 bend in the ground and return to the garden side of the extension. I just dont know if thats allowed.

If it has to remain internal then I will relocate it to the utility area in the newly formed extension so it is less obtrusive.

I went to a job yesterday where the customer had built over their manhole in the conservatory, but left a gully in the corner. Guess what happened now - the manhole gets blocked and sewage was overflowing from the gully. His conservatory had 25mm of sewage of the complete floor.

I got it unblocked in the end by jetting backwards from a neighbours property.

Andy

If I go with plan A, which is rod eyes, I will remove the existing chamber, I see no value in leaving it there.

Plan B is install a new chamber in the new utility, removed the existing chamber.

Plan C is to move the chamber outside but I would have to put a bend in the ground.

In any event, everything will be new, I already know the existing clay has been damaged by old works done over them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back