Extension pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are planning on adding a pitched roof to an extension we want to build with Marley concrete tiles on it and two roof lights in it.

The total span will be about 5.5 metres.
31 degrees pitch.
Which leaves the rafters length at 3430mm and the rise 1646mm

What I wanted to ask is if we could away with no purlins and to plasterboard directly under the rafters.
Any alternatives?

Any help appreciated thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What I wanted to ask is if we could away with no purlins and to plasterboard directly under the rafters

I'm guessing you mean a mono pitch with one end against the house.

I don't see why not, just need some beefy common rafters, maybe closer spacing.

Sponsored Links
No sorry a full pitched roof
With a double pitch you need a structural ridge which is usually a steel with a timber plate stuck on top to nail the rafters to.

If it's hipped then you need a cranked steel.

You need a structural engineer to specify

Thanks very much chaps for your opinions, it's not hipped no, just a garble end with bifold doors under it.
Sounding like an engineer then if we want no joists.
Sounding expensive so probably stick with ceiling joists.
For the span (5.5m) would we still need an engineer do we think if we had a full pitched roof

Not prohibitively expensive to employ an engineer, I paid £135+VAT for the the ridge design on this one.

Screenshot_2021-04-09-02-58-29-73_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-09-02-57-30-83_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948~2.jpg

Yes, that's pretty good, that might be the way to go, at least I will have the detail required to move forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back