Extension socket earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
At my work desk, the computer,monitor etc are plugged into a four way adaptor mounted under the desk.

The adapter has a green/yellow earth cable from its side attached to the metal leg of my desk. Does this sound right??

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the actual regs say, but is it a metal desk, as if so it seems reasonable to earth the desk directly if the four way is mounted to it, since you wouldn't want a fault potentially making the desk live...

Sponsored Links
Made me chuckle

Yep - it is quite normal to see 4 way blocks with an earth bond strap on desks. I don't think that it is entirely required but you can look at it as an added safety feature.

Is the desk an extraneous conductive part? If not then by bonding it you have introduced an earth potential so making the set up dangerous. I could be wrong in my thinking but that is the way I was taught.

Is the desk an extraneous conductive part? If not then by bonding it you have introduced an earth potential so making the set up dangerous. I could be wrong in my thinking but that is the way I was taught.
Its not an ECP, but it has mains products affixed to it, which may or may not be double insulated. It would seem a good idea to bond it. The only earth potential available is the one from the mains plug, since the floor is insulated and there are no ECPs present (that we know of) (and if there were, they'd be bonded). Its only the same as the chassis of your PC being earthed.

OOI, Is there a reg which states metal work surfaces in commercial kitchens should be bonded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back