Exterior grade 6 core alarm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one know, first off wether it's available? and secondly where you can get it (on line)??

Had a look on TLC, but could only find 5 pair telephone cable.

Sponsored Links
Probably better off in the alarms forum.

If its not available, why not use ordinary cable inside trunking?

Will post in the alarms forum (doh!!)

Cannot run it in trunking as it is to go between a house and a garage (replacing existing interior grade cable which has perished)

you wont find it.

alarm cables can not be run outside unless in conduit

Sponsored Links
Any alarm cable can be used outside if it suits you. What do you expect to happen to it? It's made from PVC and tinned copper wire.

I am after some cable which will not go brittle & crack like what has happened to the existing cable (std 6 core alarm cable - white sheath)

I've used stuff outside that is still there 20 years on - how long do you need it for?

It seems to me that the outdoor grade telephone cable would be fine.

Is it normal practice to run an alarm cable unprotected outside, given that it can it will probably be away from the protected zones and can be attacked?

no you should not do it.

but just because you shouldnt doesnt mean to say that some people wont do it.

what do you need it for and why so many cores?

It's to replace a perished cable which goes overhead from a house to a PIR sensor in a garage!

i use standard 6 core alarm cable which works fine...

if its not covered by cameras and needs to be protected, chuck it in some conduit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back