Exterior Wooden Building

It's looking alot better, but I've got a little niggle with the details of the main trusses.

Firstly, as this is an evolved design, we're kind of missing a major point. A standard trussed roof will either be similar trussed rafters all along, or trusses at regular spacing and smaller rafters in between, i.e. the trusses are made of bigger stuff than the common rafters. This either means your truss members are too small, or the common rafters are too big. It's too much technical thinking to try to work out which is which at this time of night.

Secondly, the detail at the top of the 'kingposts' on the main trusses. The kingpost won't actually be doing anything from a structural point of view, as the loads will all be taken by the rafters and the tie. The way it looks though, it'll be difficult to make a connection between the top of the rafters and the ridge, so the kingpost will be trying to take the load. This will mean the point load from the ridge will be sitting on the tie member which isn't designed to span from eaves to eaves with this kind of load. I'd do away with the king post and actually make these trusses as whole frames, notching the ridge beam where it passes over them. Either that or the truss will be ineffective and the ridge will try to span the whole nine (well six) yards.

Sponsored Links
if you raise the bottom of the "A" frame up a few inches this allows you to get your head clearence and reduce the height of the side walls

2440 wall height will be more convenient as it will fit sheets of ply

looks to me like you have twice as many wall studs as you need

Sponsored Links
But the height of the wall is 2.5m, is this not enough head room?

Ok, so below is my latest drawing...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/d438a1/new.jpg[/QUOTE]

you where saying your overall height was to much ;)
was trying to help you reduce it
as john says best cut to board size [or less]otherwise you will have unessesery joints

also your sheet material will need supporting every 2ft or so including the roof
its so much easier to draw your plans to suit the materials rather than have to cut every sheet down :oops:

allthough on your plans you have around 500mm to play with don't forget its from ground level to finnished roof level including finnials or any other adornments ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back