External wall construction - possibly done wrong in a newbuild?

Would the brick ties be screwed to the vertical timber studs in this construction?

Timber frame like this seems quite common on new builds around here - I guess it allows the house structure to be thrown up quick and sealed in, so the external brickwork can be done at same time as internals.

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, can I please ask what you are talking about?

I have found this table online:
● Common building bricks—3.43 N/mm2

● Second class bricks—6.867N/mm2

● First class bricks— 10.3N/mm2

● sun dried bricks— 1.47 – 2.45 N/mm2

● fly ash bricks— 8.82 – 9.81 N/mm2

● AAC block — 2.943- 3.92N/mm2.

The document outlines that the facing brick should be at least 5 N/mm2, which apparently means that First Class or Second Class bricks should be used. Is that not what it means?
I don’t know where that table came from but Tony is referring to the fact that most facing bricks are well in excess of 5N, and are usually 20N compressive strength. or possibly greater.
In any case, as the brick cladding is only carrying its own weight, they could be much less than 5N and there still wouldn’t be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back