Extraction nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a mid terraced house with 1 toilet on the 1st floor landlocked between the lounge and a bedroom. The toilet has no means of ventilation, neither natural via a window nor mechanical via an extractor fan and I would like to know what the best means of extraction would be. A work colleague suggested venting into the soil stack but I'm not sure how that would work. :?:

Can anyone help at all as the smell that's released into the lounge each time someone does a number 2 will soon leave me without any friends. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Venting into the stack? :!:

The idea of a extract fan is to improve air quality....

Any suggestions then :?:

I initially thought of installing an extractor fan, connecting and running a duct through the bedroom adjacent and venting it through the external wall, but it sounds like a pretty expensive venture.

First of all, you need to measure your preferred route to the outside wall.Then you need to select an fan than can push the air that distance without adversely affecting the extract rate. Soler & Palau make some efficient fans (see tlc).

Expensive it will be I'm afraid. How about moving the toilet?

Sponsored Links
Quasar27 said:

I initially thought of installing an extractor fan, connecting and running a duct through the bedroom adjacent and venting it through the external wall, but it sounds like a pretty expensive venture.

that sounds like your only option and box in the pipe if there isnt attic space above

ch427 said:
Quasar27 said:

that sounds like your only option and box in the pipe if there isnt attic space above

You could install a roof vent in the roof tiles and a cieling mounted fan and connect using a 110mm soilpipe&flexible 110mm duct.

Quasar27 said:
I recently moved into a mid terraced house with 1 toilet on the 1st floor landlocked between the lounge and a bedroom. The toilet has no means of ventilation, neither natural via a window nor mechanical via an extractor fan and I would like to know what the best means of extraction would be. A work colleague suggested venting into the soil stack but I'm not sure how that would work. :?:

Can anyone help at all as the smell that's released into the lounge each time someone does a number 2 will soon leave me without any friends. :LOL:

if the smell is the problem :LOL:

air freshener is much more effective than an extractor fan, I think.

No!!

Air fresheners mask the smell.

At least with an extractor, it would be reoving stale air & bringing in fresh..

I'd certainly go for an extractor through the ceiling. You don't have to vent it through the tiles, though a good roofer can do this without much more chance of leaks. You can run the trunk either to the eaves, or to the nearest external wall. You can hire a tool to make a 110mm hole in a wall very easily.

If it is just a toilet not a bathroom then there will not be so much condensation in the trunk, especially if you wrap it in loft insulation to keep it warm.

This ought to keep the smells out of the lounge . . .

For the sparks here, The 2 fans are powered through 2 seperate thermostats (clumsy) from the FCU on the right at the top, which is supplied by flex (!)
from a plug off to the left. Oddly, the bell transformer above is wired to the FCU on the left, which is a spur from the same socket off to the left.

RF Lighting said:
Is one an intake fan, and one an extract, or are they both extract?
both extract. Hard to balance the 2 stats just right, normally one fan is on more than the other.

Crafty said:
RF Lighting said:
Is one an intake fan, and one an extract, or are they both extract?
both extract. Hard to balance the 2 stats just right, normally one fan is on more than the other.

Alternate the stat settings so in theory both fans will get equal use ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back