Extractor Fan In Downstairs Cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Some advice please:
Do Cloakrooms have to be ventilated with an extract fan? If so whats the best way of connecting to my existing lighting circuit?
The existing light switch is on the outside wall, could i replace this with a DP fused switch & feed the light & the fan from this?
The fan itself is a basic affair & requires no switched live.
My existing lighting circuit is fed using junction boxes.
Cheers.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
mitrepooc said:
Hi All,
Some advice please:
Do Cloakrooms have to be ventilated with an extract fan? If so whats the best way of connecting to my existing lighting circuit?
The existing light switch is on the outside wall, could i replace this with a DP fused switch & feed the light & the fan from this?
Cheers.
Tim.

not sure of they have to or not.

as for connection it would normally get a feed from a light and go to a fan isolator then to the fan. altho since you mention clockroom and you dont know how to connect it, are you sure your allowed to do it? (not sayin your not, just it sounds like a public place)

andrew2022 said:
mitrepooc said:
Hi All,
Some advice please:
Cheers.
Tim.

not sure of they have to or not.

as for connection it would normally get a feed from a light and go to a fan isolator then to the fan. altho since you mention clockroom and you dont know how to connect it, are you sure your allowed to do it? (not sayin your not, just it sounds like a public place)

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply.
I already have run the wire from the cloakroom light to a switched FCU, Ii have since found out that bathrooms must not have a switched FCU within the bathroom area (unswitched only allowed) which is fed via ceiling mounted DP switch.Since my wires are in place i thought of changing the main light switch for a DP switched FCU & feeding the light & the fan directly , it would mean running another wire though.
Would keeping my existing setup & changing the switched FCU for a unswitched FCU be ok?
I have found some info for bathrooms only, so is a cloakroom deemed to be a bathroom?
Also the room has a small openable window, so going back to my previous first question; do i really need a fan?
The plasterer comes Wednesday so if i could get some info now i could remedy before it's too late :eek:
As for should i be doing it, well yes & no
I'm a multi-skilled mechanic last year took my multi-skilled course (via work) so most of my electrical "experience" is 12volts & on cars, so I do deem myself "competent.
Thanks again.
Tim.

A bathroom, as far as the regs are concerned is a location containing a bath or shower. Electrical work in such a location is notifiable under part P (Eng+Wales). It is not true that you cannot have a (230v) switch in a bathroom, they are allowed in certain places such as in zone 3 or outside the zones. What do you mean by cloakroom, toilet? If its a toilet and hand basin only then you don't need to bother with the regs for a location containing a bath or shower since it ain't a bathroom :D .

Sponsored Links
If a cloakroom toilet with no window, a fan is a must, and in this case, should be a timer model. Take a switched live, live loop, neutral and earth feed from the light fitting, through a triple pole isolator to a timer fan.

Spark123 said:
A bathroom, as far as the regs are concerned is a location containing a bath or shower. Electrical work in such a location is notifiable under part P (Eng+Wales). It is not true that you cannot have a (230v) switch in a bathroom, they are allowed in certain places such as in zone 3 or outside the zones. What do you mean by cloakroom? Toilet?

Cloakroom, yes toilet & a hand basin. All the info i have found is for bathrooms no mention of cloakroom or downstairs toilets.
According to the Which Book Of Wiring & Lighting by Mike Lawrence:
"In bathrooms you must either site the switched FCU outside the bathroom or else use an unswitched FCU & run the cable to the fan via a ceiling operated switch within the room"
Do i take this as gospel then?
Cheers.
Tim.

You wont find anything so specific as to say cloakroom or downstairs toilet in the iee regs, only special locations such as bathrooms.

securespark said:
If a cloakroom toilet with no window, a fan is a must, and in this case, should be a timer model. Take a switched live, live loop, neutral and earth feed from the light fitting, through a triple pole isolator to a timer fan.

As the fan is not a timer/humidistat model do i still need the live loop? ( i hope i ain't got the wrong end of the stick here) can i then take the switched live from the light to a FCU then onto the fan?
Cheers.
Tim.

Providing you are happy with it only running with the light, take LN&E from the light fitting to a FCU to the fan (see instructions for the fan to see if a FCU is required.)

Spark123 said:
Providing you are happy with it only running with the light, take LN&E from the light fitting to a FCU to the fan (see instructions for the fan to see if a FCU is required.)

Yes i'm happy for the fan only to come on when the light is on.
The (crap) diagram i got with the fan does show a fused 3A DP switch.
Thanks for the info :D
Tim.

ban-all-sheds said:
mitrepooc said:
most of my electrical "experience" is 12volts & on cars, so I do deem myself "competent.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I conclude from your reaction that you deem me not to be "competent".
I thought that boards like this were for advice & NOT springboards to be lectured.
If you have nothing constructive to add please stay off the thread.
Tim.

yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

Mitrepooc

Ban was justified in his post as there is a vast difference between 12v and 240v.
This forum is for advise and ban is one of our more prolific and experienced advisors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back