Extractor fan power source

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a new ensuite fitted and now steam is a problem.
Is there such a thing as an extractor fan which gets it's power from a light fitting only? Rather than the mains, this would make the job a lot easier and save ripping up a lot of a newly plastered wall.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Well a light fitting gets its power from the mains, but yes most fans are wired to the lighting circuit.

Thanks, most the instructions have said it needs to be wired to the mains for power then to the lighting circuit for it's on/off function, maybe I've misunderstood or just ain't finding the right one.

Thanks, most the instructions have said it needs to be wired to the mains for power then to the lighting circuit for it's on/off function, maybe I've misunderstood or just ain't finding the right one.

Sounds more like a misunderstanding. It would be unusual to have two separate power sources, and unless the fan is designed to isolate the two from each other, could also result in a situation similar to that with a borrowed neutral.

Sponsored Links
Fans need a live, switched live, neutral and earth.

You can obtain all these usually from within the bathroom light fitting or switch. Perhaps you misunderstand the instructions.

"Mains" is anything in your house at 230 volts. Perhaps what you think it means by "mains" is a socket circuit. Fans use less than a standard bulb, between 10 and 40 watts usually.

Thanks, I took mains as the socket circuit, so it's basicly the same as adding a light to the existing lights.

Leaving aside, for the moment, the distinction (or misunderstanding) between a lighting circuit and the 'mains'. I'm surprised that a modern en-suite room would be created without the inclusion of an extractor fan.

I'm also surprised by the number of people who believe that a really powerful fan is the solution to all problems, when it's actually a balancing act between removing the moisture but not the heat. Moisture or condensation cannot be cured by ventilation only. The problem of mould etc often arises when the walls are cold due to the lack of heating, so it's not surprising that steam should form as condensation on all cold surfaces.

Shower rooms should have adequate heat and gentle air extraction - preferrably with a 15 minute overrun.

Lucia.

also where the extractor fan is to be installed,it may need to be a low voltage type,depending what zone it is in

also where the extractor fan is to be installed,it may need to be a low voltage type,depending what zone it is in

Before someone else jumps in and pastes the definition of the voltage bands, I take it you mean Extra Low Voltage? Not trying to be pedantic, just provide the correct information to the OP.

It's far from pedantry.

There are regulations and laws which refer to "low voltage", and it's no good people thinking that means 12V...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back