Fan Speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dell Inspiron 530 keeps making fan noises with it speeding up and then slowing down and it is driving me crazy! :evil:

I have just put the hoover in it which has helped but maybe I should be thinking of changing the fan.

Any ideas and recommendations for fans please.

This is the blighter and I assume it is the middle one that is the problem.

Sponsored Links
The fan is possibly being commanded to change speed in response to correct or incorrect sensing that something is overheating.

Artic cooling freezer 7 pro.

that will keep it cool, not be as noisy and might fit. (check dimensions first)

Or use compressed air from a can or a compressor to blow out accumulated dust.

Sponsored Links
I'd take the heatsink out and clean it properly, if the fan can't blow air into the heatsink properly then it won't work properly.
You'll need some thermal compound for when you put it back in.
Don't forget antistatic handling when working inside computers!

If you can find a thermistor that controls the fan speed, whatever it's fastened to is likely where the problem is.

the cpu fan (the one on the motherboard) looks very cheap and doesn't even look like its mounted correctly. the case fan also looks very cheap, no wonder it makes lots of noise.
The fan is normally controlled from the bios (if its a 4 pin plug), however being a dell machine, the motherbaods are normally cheap generic ones with limited bios functionality.
probably best bet is to get a quality cpu fan and discard the case fan although it looks like it might be too tight against the PSU to get a bigger cpu cooler in there IMO.
You could probably remove the case fan anyway but make sure you monitor temps to make sure things aren't running too hot.
Also you should be able to remove the fan off the top of the heatsink and clean the fan and the heatsink without having to get more thermal paste.

Sponsored Links
Back