Fantastic house for sale near me

I know the road past it and the monumental gates and walls, though I've never seen the house itself. It's on the road out from Rawtenstall - a nice town with plenty of wealthy people. It must have been a grand house in is day, with servants and all.

The character and condition of an area is very important. Mean streets breed mean people. I am on the side of conservation and despise the ghastly concept of "development". They built houses to be beautiful in the past, but they don't now. Whole streets and districts had character that gave you a sense of well being, permanence and propriety. I live near a conservation area and it has all these qualities, thanks to the foresight and morality of past officials.

My own street, on the other hand, has been ruined by selfish, short-termist "developers". What was once a well-planned estate of small, plain houses, all in the same style, with neat gardens and grass verges is now a hotch-potch with different coloured roofs, cheap UPVC windows, ugly extensions, boundary walls knocked down and gardens paved over, trees removed for kerb-drops, waney lap fence panels etc etc etc. All done by DIY-ers and "developers" to make a few thousand quid when they sell the house on.

Sponsored Links
I saw another nice abandoned house today between Stockport and Buxton. This one had its own lake!!

F9110D67-B802-4DF2-861B-50DCB703DB68.png

On the road to Sparrowpit. Know it well. At one time it was being done up as a hotel, but I think it fell through. Literally, by the looks of things!

Sponsored Links
Think the latest development attempt was to make apartments, but that was reported in 2013, not sure how far that got.

Yeah, we looked at this one also. It first grabbed my attention more than 30yrs ago when the builder literally stole it from the legal owner.

If there's a history of legal wranglings, disputed ownership & local family feuds, then they are best admired from a safe distance.

Got involved in a listed building dating from the 15th century that was left to the bloke who used to host university challenge which has now been put into some type of trust

Needs millions spending on it

Henry the 8th had a 42 course dinner there so they say ?

BBC were filming there when I was last there some programme called ghost some type of comedy

Bamber Gascoigne?

Yep related ? To the duchess of
Roxborugh she left him her entire estate massive mansion
Tenanted props on the estate

Ect ect

They have built a massive opera house in the back garden

Apparently they found a bag which they think used to transport the head of Walter Raleigh around

His missis carried his head around with her as a keep sake after he was executed ?

I saw another nice abandoned house today between Stockport and Buxton. This one had its own lake!!

As does a friend's......during the very warm weather last year, a group of us did some open-water swimming in it.

Last swim of the year was in a (baltic, to me anyway) 12 deg. C. :eek:

They were when they fell off and you held them up to look at them.

Sponsored Links
Back