Faulty Dimplex storage heater.

Sponsored Links
There’s 3 elements in there. Total 2.55KW. so 850W per element
= 62Ω per element.
Fair enough (I was thinking that there were 3 x 2kW elements!), but I still can't see that EFLI's "1,100 Ω" could be remotely correct.

As I said, if the OP's figures are actually in kΩ, they would at least be in roughly the right ballpark, albeit about half of what one would expect of an 850 W element.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I cannot believe there are three separate elements.
Why can't you believe it? Quite apart from the fact that we know that it is true of the OP's heater, I thought that such an arrangement was very common (maybe even always the case) for storage heaters?

Kind Regards, John

Why can't you believe it? Quite apart from the fact that we know that it is true of the OP's heater, I thought that such an arrangement was very common (maybe even always the case) for storage heaters?

Kind Regards, John

Because his drawing shows four elements

It's what some DVMs show with an open circuit.
As EFLI has said, I think it's very unusual - as he says, it's normally something like "OL" or a "1" at the LHS of the display.

In the context of this thread, of one thing we can be sure - that no DVM would display "0.03" for an open circuit !

I'm still wondering if the figures being reported are actuallyt kΩ.

Kind Regards, John

Because his drawing shows four elements
TTC's drawing you mean? - if so, then yes, it does, but we (including TTC, who said so in the post to which you responded) know that the OP's one has three elements and, in any event, I thought that what you "could not believe" was that there were multiple separate elements (whether 3 or 4) - which, as I said, I thought was 'the norm' for storage heaters.

Kind Regards, John

After all your responses I have gone back and checked the resistance of the elements. Don' know how I managed to get the previous readings but the correct reading is 8.3ohms

After all your responses I have gone back and checked the resistance of the elements. Don' know how I managed to get the previous readings but the correct reading is 8.3ohms
For each of the three? As you've been told, even that figure does not make much sense - they ought to be around 60Ω if OK, or 'infinity' (or near zero, but then something would have tripped or blown) if dead.

For all three elements to have similar, but very 'wrong' resistances would, as has been said, be a ridiculous co-incidence. Are you sure that the battery(ies) in your meter do not need replacing? You could try measuring the resistance of a kettle or toaster, and see if you get a sensible answer.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back