Faulty Dimplex storage heater.

Is your heater switched off at the wall switch, if not you will be reading through any other heaters on your E7 system

Sponsored Links
Is your heater switched off at the wall switch, if not you will be reading through any other heaters on your E7 system
One hopes that was not the case, but another, perhaps more likely, thought occurred to me ...

.... The OP has measured the resistances of each of the three elements. If he did so without disconnecting them from one another, he would, of course, not only get answers identical for all the (in parallel) elements, but would also get an answer that was a third of the resistance of one element.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
xl_explode.jpg
Gents, on the diagram above, item#8, looks like a fuse or similar. I have no continuity through this. Could that be the problem?

Gents, on the diagram above, item#8, looks like a fuse or similar. I have no continuity through this. Could that be the problem?
If it is a fuse, 'thermal cutout' or something like that, then very much so - but it would mean that electricity was not getting to the elements, and (maybe I'm wrong), I thought you had confirmed that electricity had got to the elements.

Does the legend of the diagram not indicate what #8 is? If not, what markings (if any) are on it.

Of course, if that item is a protective device which has 'failed', that may well be for 'a good reason' - so there could be other problems as well.

Kind Regards, John

Wherever you got the diagram from, there should be a parts list that identifies what it is.
But looking at the shape of it, i think it is an accelerator resistor. One of these http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xl/dimplex-xl12/accelerator-resistor.html

But if that is gone how can you possibly have been able to state
I can confirm that there's power to the elements
:?::?::?::?::?:

And no way to delete the thumbnail even though I edited the post where the image was inline, and took it out of there.

I have replaced the item I indicated on the diagram. This is an "accelerator resistor. Still no heat.

Update: swapped the 3 heating elements with the 3 from a working heater, It still works and the problem one still doesnt. Just to check for future reference I used the multimeter in the 0 - 200ohms range and all 6 elements had a reading in the 8ohm region.
Baffled.

Just to check for future reference I used the multimeter in the 0 - 200ohms range and all 6 elements had a reading in the 8ohm region.
If you mean that each element measured about 8Ω when measured separately (and disconnected), then there must surely be something wrong with your meter or the way you are using it. Even allowing for the fact that the resistance would rise a bit when it got hot, an 8Ω element would be about 5-6kW, which would make no sense.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back