faulty imersion heater.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our daughter has bought a flat recently and is having trouble with the electric imersion heater. It keeps boiling and she says the cable also gets hot. Ive told her not to use it as there is obviously a fault. It doesnt trip out the fuse board so im presuming its the thermostat thats gone, is this a fairly easy job to replace as she can not afford to call an electrician out.

Sponsored Links
Easy, 5min job.

Take the old stat out, take it to a wholesaler and get one the same length.

It will be a different make, but thats fine.

Simple to do - under the cover screw or nut, remove cover. Undeo two terminals on the stat, and then pull stat from housing - it's very loose. Reverse procedure!

erm -iwould expect things to get wet following them instructions to the letter? -but then this becomes a plumbing question!

Sponsored Links
Mr Sm!thson. We have diagnosed that the thermostat is at fault. In all my years sparking I have never got wet changing a thermostat, even with the tank full of water.

If you remove the stat and water comes out you've got real problems! :LOL:

sm1thson said:
erm -iwould expect things to get wet following them instructions to the letter? -but then this becomes a plumbing question!

How do you change a stat :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Never mind all the nonsense about changing a thermostat, where is the cable getting hot, and how hot is it getting?

i suspect the cable getting hot is just a side effect of the whole heater getting way hotter than it should do, copper conducts heat too you know.

plugwash said:
copper conducts heat too you know.
That's quite an odd thing to say to a heating engineer. :confused:

And what do you mean by "too"? In addition to what? The air? The butyl rubber? :rolleyes:

Since you seem to making the same guess that anyone could have made, my two questions remain open...

Softus said:
plugwash said:
copper conducts heat too you know.
That's quite an odd thing to say to a heating engineer. :confused:

And what do you mean by "too"? In addition to what? The air? The butyl rubber? :rolleyes:

i mean in addition to conducting electricity.

Taylortwocities said:
If you remove the stat and water comes out you've got real problems! :LOL:
sorry for my nonesencical reply, i misread and thought you were saying to replace the whole immersion rather than just the stat (didnt realise they came out seperate). I'll shut up and leave it to the pros, haha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back