Favourite car

WoodYouLike said:
Drive as fast backwards as forwards (well fast ;))
Mmm. Maximum forward speed I ever had was 88; backwards was far too scary beyond about 45.

Sponsored Links
Could be worse, could be grimsby.

Best car my old Audi S2 Quattro turbo, what a stonker. Arnie Schwartznegger body styling, full black leather interior digital dashboard (absolutely c**p, if I'm honest) 5 cylinders.

A true classic.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Does it involve Hammond the Hamster or Jeremy Clarkson?

Possibly, but we'd all being reaching literally terminal velocity. :LOL:

Spark123 said:
Does it involve Hammond the Hamster or Jeremy Clarkson?
Do you know what? I think it dduuzzn't. Although, .... I can think of a use for someone who, on a good day, spews out more metaphors than a hungry junkie who's devoured a copy of, .... the entire works of Jzzohn KKeats.

WoodYouLike said:
Automatic gearbox, invention of the brothers van Doorne (Doornes Automobiel Fabrieken = DAF) also called the Variomatic.

Didn't Volvo end up owning this system? I seem to remember early 343s(?) using this gearbox. In fact I believe they were belt driven and situated at the rear axle?

keyplayer said:
WoodYouLike said:
Automatic gearbox, invention of the brothers van Doorne (Doornes Automobiel Fabrieken = DAF) also called the Variomatic.

Didn't Volvo end up owning this system? I seem to remember early 343s(?) using this gearbox. In fact I believe they were belt driven and situated at the rear axle?
Well, volvo bought over the DAF brand, but as I mentioned before, they also thought that the transmision devision was part of the deal, which it wasn't. So they had to splash out more money for the 'licence' (if that's the correct word).

keyplayer said:
WoodYouLike said:

WoodYouLike is spot on.

However, "belt-driven" is something of a misnomer, because it normally applies to a type of power transfer that obviates a chain (or chains).

In the variomatic transmission the belts are integral to it, and Dafs had/have a propshaft like any other modern rear wheel drive car. The gearbox and the final drive are/were combined into unit.

For example, you wouldn't describe all other cars as being "gear-driven", even though that how power is transferred inside the gearbox.

For a reason I can't dredge up in my head, I believe that Ford also developed a gearbox with belts, although I think it was an enclosed system with steel-segmented belts instead of rubber ones.

Tried to find a drawing, but failed (at the moment)
This is what Wikipedia has on it.

Found something
volvo-343-variomatic.jpg

Text belonging with picture:
The variomatic transmission was first introduced by DAF in 1958. It worked by means of a series of tapered pulleys that contracted or expanded to change the ratios. After DAF were taken over by Volvo the Van Doorne brothers continued the development of the Variomatic. Their system is now known as CVT and is used by numerous car manufacturers the world over.

WoodYouLike said:
No probs - I've probably still got the workshop manual somewhere. :D

Softus said:
WoodYouLike said:
No probs - I've probably still got the workshop manual somehwere. :D
see above ;) what manual? We've thrown all of them away, pitty now, could have made some collectors items out of it.

Nice diagram - you can even see a little of the hub and brake assemblies that came out of the Austin Mini.

I think I've got a manual for every car I've ever had; with the possible exception of my Viva, which didn't last very long before I drove it into a ditch, vertically. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back