Fears for retail as Focus eyes administration

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
I went into my local Focus a few weeks ago to find half the floor empty. The manager explained that they were going to fill the space with pallets of supa-cheap goods. "Oh, just like rearranging the deckchairs on Titanic, then?" I replied.

Looks like I was right.

Annoyed isn't the word. We ordered our kitchen from Focus in Launceston a few weeks back, waiting for it to arrive and today we hear this!

What are our chances of getting our kitchen or money back?

Sponsored Links
Hope you paid by credit card. :)

Unfortunately not, I've never liked the idea of having a credit card, always saved up and bought things when I've had funds. Never had a personal loan, never bought on hire purchase. The mortgage is the only thing I owe.

Maybe I should get one just to protect me in situations like this. :(

The mrs has tried phoning the adminstrators ernst & young but unsurprisingly all she's getting is 'we are receiving a high number of calls'

How did you pay as you may be able to use "charge back" if it was a debit card transaction.

Not sure how this works though. Any one know :?:

Annoyed isn't the word. We ordered our kitchen from Focus in Launceston a few weeks back, waiting for it to arrive and today we hear this!

What are our chances of getting our kitchen or money back?

I'd go back to the store, with the receipts and demand a refund there and then.

I'd go back to the store, with the receipts and demand a refund there and then.

I spoke to the manager on the phone and they said they couldn't do anything and suggested I phone the administrators. Might be worth me popping to the store if the doors are still open if all else fails though...

...but did get some result by phoning the bank. They put me through to the debit card department who are sending me out a form to do a chargeback, and according to the person I spoke to there's a good chance of me getting a full refund within a few weeks based on the fact that I'm not going to receive the goods I've paid for. She said she'd had loads of calls about the same thing already today, so it seems other people are more clued up about chargeback than I was, thanks for the heads up Bahco. :)

Usually try the local Focus first as it's only just over a mile away. But they rarely have in what I want, so I end up going to the nearest B&Q or Wickes, which are about eight miles away - in the same direction, fortunately.

Hope you paid by credit card. :)

Unfortunately not, I've never liked the idea of having a credit card, always saved up and bought things when I've had funds. '
whats wrong with a credit card if you have a direct debit set up to pay off the balance every month. Thats what I do so I never owe more than a months worth. Anything over £100 is protected so as to speak if you pay by credit card and they go bust. In case of Focus you'd have just phoned your credit card and they'd have put the amount straight back onto your account as a refund :oops:

No wonder its eyeing up closing down.

Its prices are sky high and its range is shickingly poor. Focus is the only DIY store local to me, the nearest ScrewFix and B&Q are about a 15 minute drive away each, so when I just need a packet of screws theres no point going all that way.

I still try to avoid using it though.

I went in there the other day for some small brass screws. They charged me nearly £5 for one packet of 20 12mm screws. They should wear a mask and a striped jumper at that place

Update - Haven't seen the form arrive from the bank yet, but our kitchen did arrive last Saturday surprisingly. Looks like the administrators changed their minds about holding peoples orders back.

I'm going to start a project thread on the kitchen overhaul now.

I'm amazed focus have lasted so long, I have never been in there and not had to queue at the checkout because a barcode is not bringing up the price, usually I dump the stuff and walk out.

Sponsored Links
Back