Felt roof leaking and sink in - need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boiler roof is leaking and the felt roof is sinking (I have attached a picture & links below) . I would like to diy however before i start on the project, i would appreciate if anyone could advice. Should i remove the felt roof and replace it or paint a sealant on it? I have a very minimum budget on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i23ai2vpetbv6q/20151108_145102.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd5xxw9f7uacb9a/20151108_144857.jpg?dl=0

Thanks
20151108_144434.jpg
20151108_144727.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the original timber underneath the felt is in poor condition now......I'd seriously consider its replacement if you can possibly do so.
If you can't, then coat it with MKM's Evercryl for a good if not permanent repair.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As above.

Given the damage below the surface coverings not much will last for long - smearing liquid bitumen everywhere might get you thro the winter?

The leak is probably starting thro the "fingers" of felt flashing at the flue. That kind of collar is for a hot mopped roof.

Remove the roof entirely. Replace with a roof to falls.

Re-assemble the - is it a mix of single wall & double wall - metal flue which seems to have been installed back to front. Perhaps, attempt to re-route the flue.
A GSI should have a look at this set-up from boiler to terminal?

The RWP is missing.

Woah , whoever did that learnt their cutting at dewhurst!
That is seriously ugly.
Doesn't look very old?
Get them back to do it properly

Hi Ree, ya think i might smear the liquid bitumen first for this winter. Any type that you recommend?
And sorry i am really new here and very enthusiastic about diy, however what is GSI and RWP?
Have you come across any website that you recommend, with details about how to replace roof?

Hi Jontop, it's not just ugly but it sink and leak :)
We bought the house without noticing it.

what is the boiler in the shed - out of interest.

Surely, the only access to your "kind of extension" is the door we see in the pic?

How come your mortgage surveyor allowed you to buy the house "without noticing it" or mentioning it?

The odds are that fungal damage has started inside the roof - leave it and next comes dry rot.

Given such delapidation i should suspect that the boiler is inefficient and possibly badly installed. Experience indicates that such neglect will possibly be general.

Yes that door is the only access to the boiler room (kind of extension).

We are first time buyer and we naive about lots of things.

If you have a gas boiler GoodOne, do contact a gas safe engineer who will advise you on the flue requirements for that particular appliance and also the necessary terminal to take it through the roof. He will also advise if the ventilation is adequate.
The roof is a complete mess, I think you'll appreciate and its time for it to go. A popular method these days is a glass fibre replacement which is laid up, on site, in one piece.....the timber beneath is sure to be in poor condition, I'll wager.
In the meantime, can you replace your missing rain water down comer, and direct the water into a suitable drain?

Good man.....if you can't afford to do your roof now, my Evercryl recommended compound - which is glass fibre reinforced - is a get-you-through-winter possibility. MKM sell it, pricey for what it is but it does work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back