Fernox TF1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question...

I think my plumber has installed the TF1 on the wrong pipe! It's currently on the CH Flow.

Should it not be on the CH Return?

Or does it not matter.

Regards,

Simpic

Sponsored Links
ideally on the return but not essential. subject to popular belief these filters dont pick everything up on the first pass

I had exactly the same problem - locating the TF1 on return was virtually impossible. So I emailed Fernox and asked their advice. They replied:

There is no objection in principle against installing on the flow side.

The main reason for not recommending the flow side seems to be that, if the valves were accidentally left closed, a potentially dangerous situation could arise.

The boiler does not know if any blockage is on the flow or return!

The same applied to any series circuit, elcetrical or plumbing flow.

The hope is that a filter will catch a particle before the boiler!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The boiler does not know if any blockage is on the flow or return!
The "dangerous situation" might arise if the filter is on the flow between boiler and vent of an open-vented boiler.

There should be no valves between the boiler and the open vent and cold feed. This is why it is sometimes incorrect to fit a TF1 or magnaclean on the flow pipe adjacent to the boiler. If it is a sealed system or fitted after the vent/feed it's not an issue other than providing slightly less protection to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back