Ferroli Modena 80 boiler - thermostat valves rattle

H

hogpog

hi, just had above boiler fitted. all 3 downstairs rads also had new pettinaroli thermostat valves, the upstairs 2 have the existing honeywell thermostat valves.

after central heating has been on for a while the upstairs rads begin to vibrate and rattle, it sounds almost as if someone is drilling into a wall. i've discovered that by turning down the thermostat valves the rattling/vibrating eventually stops. also by turning on a hot water tap either in the kitchen or upstairs bathroom this also temporarily stops the noise. it's as though the noise starts once the rads reach a certain temperature.

i thought the central heating system and kitchen/bathroom tap water systems were separate, so how can turning on a tap stop a radiator from being noisy ?

is it the older honeywell thermostat valves on the upstairs rads ? anyone offer any advice ?

thanks

p.s. when the central heating is on and the boiler is pumping hot water around the radiator system, if i turn on a tap the central heating seems to stop, the boiler switches from central heating mode to hot water mode. is this normal ?

Sponsored Links
the flow and return have been swapped when you had the new boiler popped in, chances are the TRV's are a bit old and will not work if fitted on the return side

call they chaps who fitted the boiler back

corgiman said:
the flow and return have been swapped when you had the new boiler popped in, chances are the TRV's are a bit old and will not work if fitted on the return side

call they chaps who fitted the boiler back

i'll call him in the morning. do you mean that in effect the direction of the hot water through the rad system has been reversed ? that the first rad is now the last ?

Sponsored Links
not really, if you look a the valves you will ses an arrow this is the way the water should flow through the valve, if the rads are cold turn the heat on and you will find the heat comes through the valve at the other end against the flow

new trv are bi directional (supposidly) and this dont happen

corgiman said:
not really, if you look a the valves you will ses an arrow this is the way the water should flow through the valve, if the rads are cold turn the heat on and you will find the heat comes through the valve at the other end against the flow

new trv are bi directional (supposidly) and this dont happen

i'll quote "bi-directional trv" and "flow and return" tomorrow to the boiler man.

i'm very impressed with this forum - instant info & help = excellent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back