Filling a Large Hole in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We inherited a very large and deep hole in the garden. It is about 15 meters x 15 meters and about 1.5 meter deep. It was probably dug out with the intention of creating a large pond but just left there. We would like to fill it up so the final thing is a levelled garden, but would like advice as to what materials/aggregates to put right at the bottom and then what to put next etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you don't need any soakaways etc. approx 2-3 tonne of broken brick, which is about £10 per tonne and 1-2 tonne of top soil (about £50 per tonne).

Hi everyone,

We inherited a very large and deep hole in the garden. It is about 15 meters x 15 meters and about 1.5 meter deep. It was probably dug out with the intention of creating a large pond but just left there. We would like to fill it up so the final thing is a levelled garden, but would like advice as to what materials/aggregates to put right at the bottom and then what to put next etc.

Thanks in advance.
if thats 15 metres square by 1.5m deep -thats a 340 cubic metres

a grab lorry holds about 15 sq metres so thats 22 lorry loads o_O

I would say talk to a local grab lorry / muckaway company

assuming it is a normal garden, what came out wouldve been mostly sub soil with a foot or so of top soil....on the top!

bear in mind -when digging out soil, it "fluffs up" by around 50% -so it will also sink a fair bit -you may need to compact it when it goes in.

Also you will need to finish high, lets it settle for about a year, then top it up.

Sponsored Links
What about some kind of rain water reservoir? Just thinking that retaining a void somehow, then covering /infilling might be easier than tons of solid material?

Thinking of either a large tank/ linked tanks or a liner with milk crate style boxes stacked inside and wrapped with the liner. Could be used for garden watering or grey water?

I'm working it out at around the 500 tonne mark, so a big job.

Before you fill it consider laying pipes at the bottom for a ground source heat pump - the hole is a good part of the cost in having these systems installed. would seem a waste just to fill it

I'm working it out at around the 500 tonne mark, so a big job.

Before you fill it consider laying pipes at the bottom for a ground source heat pump - the hole is a good part of the cost in having these systems installed. would seem a waste just to fill it

Ground source heat pump is a fantastic idea. That's what I want to et installed one day as soon as it is economically more viable with higher takeup and economy of scale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back