Filling in EIC for first time - help for first timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a Wylex 100A DP Mains Switch and a split load CU (3+5+5).
When it comes to filling in the EIC the form is expecting a single Mains Switch.
Do I only put in the Wylex details or all 3 of the CU split load switches?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm mystified why you are asking such a question - surely the completion of the EIC etc was covered on one of your courses - such as C&G 2391.

Sponsored Links
The MAIN switch is the one which controls the entire installation. When it's off, everything in that installation is also off.

If there really is more than one main switch, then you have more than one installation, each of which will require it's own certificate.
A typical example would be where a property has one consumer unit for the usual circuits, and another separate one for the night storage heating.

A single DP switch and a consumer unit is one installation, assuming the consumer unit is connected to the switch.

The MAIN switch is the one which controls the entire installation. When it's off, everything in that installation is also off. If there really is more than one main switch, then you have more than one installation, each of which will require it's own certificate.
A typical example would be where a property has one consumer unit for the usual circuits, and another separate one for the night storage heating.
I can but presume that the other 'split load switches' to which he refers are actually the RCDs ...
When it comes to filling in the EIC the form is expecting a single Mains Switch. Do I only put in the Wylex details or all 3 of the CU split load switches?
As has already been observed, one has to wonder (and worry) about the state of 'training' courses, and even more about who are cmpleting EICs!

Kind Regards, John

I have installed a Wylex 100A DP Mains Switch and a split load CU (3+5+5).
When it comes to filling in the EIC the form is expecting a single Mains Switch.
Do I only put in the Wylex details or all 3 of the CU split load switches?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

You put down the details of the main switch, such as BS number (BS EN 60947-3. Current rating (100A). Number of poles (2).
The MCBs and the RCCBs details will go in the schedule of tests.

I suggest looking at the on-site guide as there are some filled in sample forms.
Also purchase such as
Guidance Note 3 and this Practical Guide

The MAIN switch is the one which controls the entire installation. When it's off, everything in that installation is also off.

If there really is more than one main switch, then you have more than one installation, each of which will require it's own certificate.

I disagree and would suggest that in such an installation there is no Main Switch.

It would be the same installation as it shares the same Origin of Installation and services the same building.

The definition of 'installation' in BS 7671 does not require any number of switches of any sort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back