Fire extinguisher for electrics and hob

And grown ups should be trusted to make their own decisions and to be accountable for their own safety.

Sponsored Links
Is this really the case? I wanted to use this in a garage conversion as a safety measure but this may become a burden on me if the above is true. Can you please elaborate.
Thanks for your help.
There is no requirement to provide any fire fighting equipment to tenants, but if you do and expect them to use the equipment, then you must ensure that they know how to use the equipment and use it safely. And you must also check the equipment at reasonable intervals and maintain a service record.

Ive stayed in holiday lets where there have been fire blankets - are they not encouragement to remain in a building where a fire has broken out?
If Pontins expect you to attack the blazing settee with the blanket, then yes that may be deemed encouragement.

Otherwise I would suggest there is a bit of difference between throwing a bit of cloth over the chip pan, and picking up a fire extinguisher in a panic, checking the instructions to see what kind of fire you can use it on so you don't electrocute yourself or spray hot blazing fat everywhere, finding out how to arm it, then reading the instructions to see how far away to stand and where to point it, and then having a go without choking yourself to death in all the smoke.

As a retired Firefighter I would suggest a CO2 fire extinguisher (For General House if you are that worried ) Avoid Dry Powder when used makes such a mess , also avoid water at any cost if there are electrics about . Include a fire blanket for kitchen Ensuring it is fixed on a wall " On the way out of the kitchen" .

I now live in a Thatched Cottage Insurance conditions are that along with Fire safety measures i.e Fire Blanket , alarm in every room , that we have to have two CO2 extinguishers fixed on the wall one on each floor . ( again on the way out )

Sponsored Links
I know it's probably not true but on one of my old work fire training courses (done by real firemen), they told us they were sifting through the debris of a fire and found an unused fire extinguisher right in the middle of it. The occupant explained that they had followed the instructions on it - "remove pin, aim at base of fire and release"

There is no requirement to provide any fire fighting equipment to tenants, but if you do and expect them to use the equipment, then you must ensure that they know how to use the equipment and use it safely. And you must also check the equipment at reasonable intervals and maintain a service record.

Um yes there is. If it is a HMO https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/your-landlords-safety-responsibilities
And training does not have to be given, just the provision of an extinguisher.

Um yes there is. If it is a HMO https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/your-landlords-safety-responsibilities
And training does not have to be given, just the provision of an extinguisher.
It's not a HMO is it.

And if you provide an extinguisher and do not provide training then you are liable under common law if the person you expected to fight a fire is injured carrying out your expectations. So if you have not trained them, you are culpable and have no defence.

It's not a HMO is it.

And if you provide an extinguisher and do not provide training then you are liable under common law if the person you expected to fight a fire is injured carrying out your expectations. So if you have not trained them, you are culpable and have no defence.

If you rent out a property of multiple occupancy one has to provide Fire Extinguishers etc as laid down by the Inspecting Fire Officer , I have never heard of the fact that one has to train residents how to operate a fire extinguisher , directions of use are normally on a lable on the extinguisher .
One can approach Fire Officers to give talks on Fire Safety and use of equiptment or supply leaflets on use of equiptment .

And of course you have proof of that, precedents, case law etc?

I'm sure that Woody would also train tenants to use the oven, the vacuum, the microwave, how to open the door and walk outside too :)

If you rent out a property of multiple occupancy one has to provide Fire Extinguishers etc as laid down by the Inspecting Fire Officer , I have never heard of the fact that one has to train residents how to operate a fire extinguisher , directions of use are normally on a lable on the extinguisher .
One can approach Fire Officers to give talks on Fire Safety and use of equiptment or supply leaflets on use of equiptment .
What's the advice of the fire service for fighting fires?

Do they recommend randomers stand and read the instructions and then attempt to fight a fire, or that people who fight fires should be suitably trained?

I'm sure that Woody would also train tenants to use the oven, the vacuum, the microwave, how to open the door and walk outside too :)
What I would do, (and do) is prepare expert reports for the Court to advise the judge when landlords have failed in their common law or statute obligations.

But as you ask, the training for use of any appliance supplied as part of the tenancy can be either just the supply of the manufacturer's instructions, or a quick demonstration. Otherwise the duty if care is not met. I don't think people need to be trained about opening doors, but apparently some people might need it.

Yes.

And if you come to our office, instruct us and agree fees (we will need a deposit as you may be dodgy) we can advise on relevant law.
Ill decline that kind offer, thanks - Im sure I could find other ways to waste money which are actually fun.

But it is good to see a bit of sanity creeping in, in that you've gone from this:

you must ensure that they know how to use the equipment and use it safely.
and this
to this
the training for use of any appliance supplied as part of the tenancy can be .. just the supply of the manufacturer's instructions.
in less than 24 hours. At that rate it wont be long before you are back in the real world. About the biggest thing left for you to do is to stop calling supplying the manufacturers instructions "training", as I think that youre a bit out of step with what most people would regard as "training", particularly when you use the term in conjunction with ensuring that the training has been effective.

Otherwise I would suggest there is a bit of difference between throwing a bit of cloth over the chip pan, and picking up a fire extinguisher in a panic, checking the instructions to see what kind of fire you can use it on so you don't electrocute yourself or spray hot blazing fat everywhere, finding out how to arm it, then reading the instructions to see how far away to stand and where to point it, and then having a go without choking yourself to death in all the smoke.
I would suggest that there is a bit of difference (actually quite a bit) between that and actual common sense. I would suggest you stop assuming that everybody is like you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back