Fire Hazard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.

I am wondering if I am inadvertantly causing a fire hazard in my kitchen. We are replacing it and have removed the suspended false marble ceiling that was in place. The actual ceiling is about 150mm higher, but was in very poor condition, so I have pulled the boards down and replaced them. I put the halogen downlights into the new ceiling they are backing straight into the loft- where I have 270mm of insulation! The bulbs do get hot, and I am wondering if this is safe?

Oh, whilst I am at it I also have under unit lights, and I have removed one of the old units. The flex runs under the plaster. Can I simply cut this cable and plaster over the cut end where it exits the wall, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
1) You should consult the instructions, or failing that the technical department at the company who make them as to the required clearances around the fittings.

2), As for the cable, you should disconnect it at whereever the other end is as well and remove as much of the cable as physically possible, it is *not* acceptable to leave cut ends of live cables under the plaster!

There are no brand marks on the lights, nor instructions. The lights were in situ when I bought the house.

I am guessing that neither plasterboard nor fibre glass insulation is especially flammable, but I don't want to burn the place down!

I had the prob of downlights getting rather hot in my music studio, they are GU10 and cheap fittings but i managed to sort it by sticking some 11 watt megaman energy savers in its place as they run alot cooler. Only thing is they are dim for the 1st few mins but as they are on for like 8 hours constant it dont half save on our leccy bill too, especially with 10 downlighters

Sponsored Links
The low energy halogen replacements are a great idea- thanks. Didn't know they existed!

In short, insulation in close contact with trannies & fittings is at worst a potential fire hazard & at best will shorten the lifespan of your lighting gear. These run very hot and need good airflow to dissipate heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back