Fire in microwave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I was trying to do a re-enactment of Towering Inferno inside my microwave.............

My microchips caught fire - big style - smoke billowing out the top of the microwave, flames leaping up inside it, and it was making the most horrendous noise.

Apart from being black inside and needing a damned good clean, is it safe to use a microwave after you've had a blaze inside it?

Sponsored Links
:eek: wow.
For your own safety & peace of mind get it checked out before attempting to zap anything else....or dump it in a skip & buy a new one.

Yeah, I kinda thought it would be knackered after a fire in it but I wasn't sure - loads of websites say it's fine but not sure that I trust it.

I am not saying it is beyond all hope, but at least get it checked out by a qualified engineer before using it again. Safety first Alison!

Sponsored Links
It would probably cost more to get it looked at than it would be to get a new one.

I wouldn't mind - I don't even like micro chips!!

I'm not sure but I think I might have pressed the 10 minute button instead of the 1 minute button (in my haste to watch It Takes Two) - I'm not sure that I did that though.

I was really brave and went to see if it worked still and it does but I'm terrified to use it incase it's leaking microwaves or something. There doesn't look like there's any damage as such - door is fine - the inside is just a bit smoke damaged.

my suggestion is
clean the inside fully then place a pint off water in a open neck vessel [not a bottle] in the micro give it 6 mins assuming 800w and see if it will make tea or coffee after standing for 1 min without mixing
you can leave the room if you like

Did a bowl of water and it boiled OK.

Can't get rid of the smell of burnt out of it but it's clean apart from being a bit discoloured with the smoke.

There doesn't seem to be any seals as such round the door - I was worried about microwaves leaking out!!

if you are saying the seals have gone then throw it away
if you are saying you cant see any seals microwaves can only go in strait lines so there will be several right angle changes stopping the waves escaping

apart from from the smell if it dos'nt react as before or you feel any unusual sensations when its working have it checked or buy a new one

No, there's no rubber seals on it - and you've just explained how it works which answers my question as to why it doesn't have rubber seals!!

Have used it a couple of times and I don't think I've been microwaved yet!

if it dosnt work normally or you feel unusual sensations when near to it in operation then please dont take the risk have it checked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back