fire lighters on bar b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using ordinary fire lighters to light our barb b.
Now my mother says that I should get special ones just for this purpose.

Can anyone tell me if using ordinary ones may be harm ful/ poisonous?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that the fumes aren't very nice but I used to use them a lot and apart from the severe nausea and headaches we all used to get they were fine. :D I reckon that as long as you let them burn out before putting food on the barbie then there wouldn't be a problem, you can get proper barbie firelighters but I bet they cost more.
If you need me to come and sample the food at any time to make sure it's ok then just let me know. :LOL:

:LOL:
I remember getting some barbie liquid stuff you squirted over the coals once, I guess it is all chemicals... (and it was expensive)
Cant think of any friendlier way to light it though.

Sponsored Links
I find all the starter things taint the food if you don't give the barbie plenty of time to burn them off. Something like paraffin or white spirit usually. One of my chums never lights his early enough.

You can make effective use of newspaper ... About 3 pages together, roll up across or at 90° to the 'fold line', then twist tightly working from one end to the other.

Take one end of the tightly twisted paper, grasp in hand, 'roll' or wrap around knuckle area like a coil (use 3 fingers for tabloid, 4 for broadsheet ), release grasp, tuck one end into and around coil thus maintaining the coiled shape. This will burn very well and for a considerable time.. Especially if the inner sheet of paper is sprayed or painted lightly with some old cooking oil.

;)

toffee said:
I remember getting some barbie liquid stuff you squirted over the coals once, I guess it is all chemicals...

I do believe you may be right there ;) :D

Yeah i tried all that, then i found i just had to press the ignite button on the gas control panel! :LOL:

toffee said:
:LOL:
I remember getting some barbie liquid stuff you squirted over the coals once, I guess it is all chemicals... (and it was expensive)
Cant think of any friendlier way to light it though.

Get KEN'S liquid stuff, :oops: :LOL: ;)

I use petrol.

Just a half cup of unleaded over the coals, give it about 30secs to soak in and then light with a match (carefully)

I'm not suggesting anyone else do this, but it works fine for me.

empip said:
You can make effective use of newspaper ... About 3 pages together, roll up across or at 90° to the 'fold line', then twist tightly working from one end to the other.

Take one end of the tightly twisted paper, grasp in hand, 'roll' or wrap around knuckle area like a coil (use 3 fingers for tabloid, 4 for broadsheet ), release grasp, tuck one end into and around coil thus maintaining the coiled shape. :

If you add a 4th sheet you can make a flying bird or a lotus flower!

toasty said:
I use petrol.

Just a half cup of unleaded over the coals, give it about 30secs to soak in and then light with a match (carefully)

I'm not suggesting anyone else do this, but it works fine for me.

Is that why you are known as toasty?

B&Q sells big bags with about 8 small bags in them you just light each bag and away you go, i would recommend them highly. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back