FIRE RATED DOWNLIGHTERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am just re doing our kitchen and want to use downlighters and after a bit of advice or comments. I know they need to be fire rated but a bit bewildered by the different choices. Some people think low voltage is a waste of time because they still consume the same power as mains voltage. Also some have to have a seperate individual transformers and others have a transformer for more than one light as long as the distance apart is ok. Other people say low voltage bulbs last a lot longer than mains voltage. Can anybody recommend one type over the other or had a good / bad experience with either system?

All comments appreciated
Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
I'm only part time but a lot of my jobs are replacing failed transformers, I would go for mains voltage. The less parts involved, the less can go wrong.

Go for 12V lights.

The lamps last from 2-5 times longer (depending on make and quality)

The lamps are more efficient- a 20W IRC 12V lamp gives out MORE light and BETTER light than a 50W cheap GU10 lamp from the pound shop.

Some 12V transformers are poor, you get what you pay for.
There can be problems if you want to dim them- I use Varilight dimmers and Varilight trannys - they seem to work well together, strange eh?

This work may be covered by Part P (depending on where you live)
You should use a competent person for the work, links below

In Scotland:
Individuals regitered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2

In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you look at mains voltage downlighters, with low energy lamps - Megaman do some as do Aurora, and I prefer the light output (more uniform and less glary) - plus they last ages.

Expensive to start at £7ish a lamp but worth it in the long run - mains GU10 lamps often last no time at all.

The only issue is that they are longer than the normal GU10 so you have to choose your fittings carefully.

Are you sure they have to be fire rated? That is only the case if you have a flat above you, not in a standard house.

Above all, DON'T wrap insulation round them like the 20+ I had to change recently - done by builders just before Part P came in :evil: . The cable wasn't pretty after only a couple of years...

If you do go low voltage, buy decent transformers and make sure they are accessible, as they may well have to be changed at some point.

Seems downlighters are back in with a vengeance as everyone seems to be asking me for them - or are ceilings just getting lower?

As an aside, anyone care to recommend a make that actually gives you a decent terminal block, and not a crappy small one with screws that fall out the moment you stand up a ladder? :mad:

I know they need to be fire rated ..........
Oh no they dont! (He's behind you!)

Seriously though, a normal domestic house does not need fire rated downlights! This is why they sell NORMAL downlights! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back