Fitness: Pull-up bar perpendicular to the wall with one end unsupported

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I looked up all the wall mounted pull-up bar models on the internet and they all are fitted parallel to the wall with a bracket supporting the bar at each end.

My issue is that I need to rule out wall-parallel options as well as a bar on the posts, or a bar between a post and the wall.

I want to put my bar perpendicular to wall with one end loose, or actually on the wall corner sticking out reasonable distance (80cm?) out of the wall and wanted to proof my idea or hear suggestions.

So, the plan is
1. get 1.6m long tube, 42mm OD - Interclamp.
2. fix half of the tube (0.8m) along one of the walls using interclamp 2 or 3 double lugged brackets (http://www.interclamp.com/en/interclamp/198)
3. the other half of the tube sticks out of the corner cantilevered thanks to the brackets

Would that do or not?

Potential problems I can see
1. Stiffness of the tube - would it bend too much?
2. would I need thicker tube (probably 42mm is already bit bulky) or are there more stiff alternatives. Or the opposite: would I get away with 34mm tube?

Cheers,
MJ

Sponsored Links
Using basic online tube deflector calculator I see:
* 43mm/3mm tube would flex some 5mm at my weight of 75kg
* for kipping I assume the force to be double making deflection to be 10mm.

Not ideal but looks acceptable. For 34mm OD tube deflections would double.

or hear suggestions.

Have you heard of unistrut? You can build almost anything with it.

You'd want a length going floor to ceiling bolted to the wall at regular intervals, with maybe even an extra angle bracket at the top and bottom. A piece coming out horizontally with a bigger angle bracket (they do make cantilever arms also, but I think it's neater without) with a 45 degree gallow piece under the angle held with these. Then either do pull up straight on that (it's 41mm square BTW) or use U bolts to attach a pole of whatever diameter you want.

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
Fix one end to the wall; the other, suspend from the ceiling? (braided steel cable would be strong enough, fairly discrete, and "trendy")?

Why not just fix one on the door frame?
Fix one end to the wall; the other, suspend from the ceiling? (braided steel cable would be strong enough, fairly discrete, and "trendy")?

I did not mentioned this is an outdoor installation - there is no ceiling.
The place I am putting this is the corner of the outer wall of the bungalow with a sloped roof.
I cannot suspend the loose end of the tube on anything unless it is on some ridiculous almost horizontal angle 20 degrees.

Also, I need to rule out door frame as it would be too low for proper pull-ups and even less convenient for kipping pull-ups.
I want the bar high enough so I need to jump to reach it and can have legs straight.
For the kipping pull-ups I also need space in front and behind the bar. And finally for muscle ups I need space above.

That is the long term plan anyway, as for now I cannot do even a proper pull-up :). Big things start with a dream.

What about a gallows bracket type set up?

A vertical screwed to the wall with a long horizontal for the pull ups, with a brace at 45 degrees?

Is there a reason why you can't have a vertical end support to the ground?

Using basic online tube deflector calculator I see:
* 43mm/3mm tube would flex some 5mm at my weight of 75kg
* for kipping I assume the force to be double making deflection to be 10mm.

Not ideal but looks acceptable. For 34mm OD tube deflections would double.

Trouble is it's not just your weight. If you like me jump pull yourself on the bar you generate more force, so 5mm flex may be the flex if you just hung on it then, but not necessarily on the concentric part of the movement.

p.s. sorry I see you wrote that in there.. never heard of the term 'kipping' before though

Last edited:
I did not mentioned this is an outdoor installation - there is no ceiling.
The place I am putting this is the corner of the outer wall of the bungalow with a sloped roof.
I cannot suspend the loose end of the tube on anything unless it is on some ridiculous almost horizontal angle 20 degrees.

Also, I need to rule out door frame as it would be too low for proper pull-ups and even less convenient for kipping pull-ups.
I want the bar high enough so I need to jump to reach it and can have legs straight.
For the kipping pull-ups I also need space in front and behind the bar. And finally for muscle ups I need space above.

That is the long term plan anyway, as for now I cannot do even a proper pull-up :). Big things start with a dream.

How much floor space do you have in m2

I think you should rethink this and go for a power cage instead which can facilitate a range of different compound movements. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...rl=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=power+cage

I don't have a cage but I have a rack which works as a combination squat rack/bench press/deadlift station. Only thing I miss is a pull up bar, I have that in the bathroom instead, just a normal one.

Hi,

Ended up with pull-up bar, which you can see on the picture. It is certainly multipurpose also serving function suggested by Brigadier.

As for pull-ups function.
It has flex in line with calcs by deflection calculator.
You can see on the picture the bar is not level though, raises 15mm per meter towards the loose end.
But becomes more or less level with my weight handing in the middle of the sticking-out area.
So far no sign of weakness.

If anyone interested to replicate:
- 2m 42.4mm OD interclamp galvanised mild steel tube (afterthought - black powder could have been better for thermal and drying)
- 1 interclamp bracket no 146
- 1 interclamp bracket no 198
- 2 plastic caps for the tube no 133
- couple of 6mm allumminium plates between wall and bracket (this is just to achieve clearance between tube and guttering)
- 4 of 10mm x 61 mm universal nylon plugs (Duratool)
- 4 of coach screws 8mm x 70mm

Cheers,
Maciej

Attachments

• 20160911_090907_HDR.jpg
    20160911_090907_HDR.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 190
If your still looking for ideas... get a local welder to pop a bit of thick flat steel strip inside (tight fit) and run a few welds as far as possible up the tube. Postioned vertical this additional "web" would reduce deflection to almost zero... thicker the better...

Right, so I was actually thinking to create a sort of "web".
Deflection calcs show that solid pipe would have significantly less flex (was it quarter ? cannot remember), so a tube with flat strip vertical would be not far off from it.
Does it need to be welded?
Can I stick the matching flat strip - in theory it should not move right, or if it was to rotate I could prop it with smaller pipes on the sides to keep position.

Sort of this would be inside the pipe.
o|o

Beauty of my installation is that I can take the pipe off or replace it with

Ideally yes it should be welded at each end but. ... if you can get a strip (nice and thick ) and a little bigger than the inernal diameter and carefully grind it down with rounded edge to suit the internal diameter then drive it home with a sledge hammer that would work I'm sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back