Fitted a Pegler lever Ball valve on the main supply -Screeching noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I turn it on there is a very loud screeching noise coming from the valve.

anyone had this before?
is it a faulty valve?
No idea what to do apart from replacing but not looking forward to that as it was very awkward.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What size pipe?

What size and type valve?

What was on there before?

it's a lever Ball valve on the main supply into the house, 15mm
The old stopcock is still in place as it was completely jammed and I couldn't get to it to replace it.

You don't know if it's a full-bore valve?

Photos would help.

So it's on a half-inch copper pipe?

Sponsored Links
sorry for not making it clear.
Yes it's 15mm copper pipe and it's definitely a full bore lever ball valve.
It's a screwfix valve . can't find the item code.

Did you try turning off the stopcock...sounds more like the washer or jumper's causing the noise.
Unscrew the stopcock headgear and take a look.

I can't undo the old stopcock yet as I haven't got a way of shutting down the supply at the road.
Got to get one today if I can.

Is there a water meter? Post a pic if so.

I managed to turn the water off at the meter and replaced the washer on the old Valve.
You were correct that this was the problem. As it seems to be fixed now.
It's strange that adding the new valve next to it seemed to cause the problem but Hey! it's fixed Now:)
Thanks very much for all the advice :)(y)

Mike

I can't undo the old stopcock yet as I haven't got a way of shutting down the supply at the road.
Got to get one today if I can.
Got to get what?

If you can turn the water off and get to the old stopcock to replace a washer, you can remove the old stopcock, maybe with a short length of pipe, and give superior water flow.

Sorry I meant get one of those long handled keys for getting down to the water meter.
I did have a look at removing the old tap but it was not possible. The tap sticks up through the bottom of a cabinet in the corner the connection to the pipe is just below the bottom so no way I could get a spanner on it.

I'm in the same boat with a knackered stop tap, completely inaccessible to remove, lools like lead pipe on the supply side to maje matters worse!.

Why they couldn't have fitted it another foot up the wall is anyones guess...

Did the same as you, 15mm full bore lever ball valve but would like to remove the old tap completely (envisage digging the floor out around the pipe to do it).

I'm in the same boat with a knackered stop tap, completely inaccessible to remove, lools like lead pipe on the supply side to maje matters worse!.

Why they couldn't have fitted it another foot up the wall is anyones guess...

Did the same as you, 15mm full bore lever ball valve but would like to remove the old tap completely (envisage digging the floor out around the pipe to do it).

Yeah it would be nice to get rid of the old one but not worth it I reckon, My new ball valve is sooo smooth I don't ever forsee me having to use the old crap tap again.

The head of the old valve can be removed having a brass plug screwed on it. This gives better water flow. The washer and jumper can be removed, removing another cause of any future problem, also improving flow. Every now and then turn the ball valve on and off to ensure it does not stiffen up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back